In Years Past

  • In 1914, chemical plants in Niagara Falls were beginning to feel the effects of the European war. If the war was prolonged, some of them might be forced to suspend operations. Even if the war was concluded by the end of the year, they would suffer severely, it was said. If the strife continued two or three years, some of the factories would probably be shut down for indefinite periods. Many of the Falls chemical plants used large quantities of potash. Practically all the raw potash used there came from Germany. The supply was cut off and the plants were facing the possibility of being unable to obtain raw materials to manufacture their finished products.
  • From Greece to Warren to marry the lover of her girlhood days only to find that he had left for parts unknown was the experience of Kalope Petrihu, a comely Grecian girl who arrived at Warren recently. Nicholas Johnson, whom she came here to marry, was not to be found but it was later learned that he lost his position in Warren and having given up hopes that his sweetheart was coming to America, he left for other parts. Fortunately, he left his address with those with whom he had boarded and he was finally located at Strattonville, Clarion County, where he had secured work in the mines. He and his sweetheart engaged in a telephone conversation and she left Thursday afternoon for that place where the wedding would take place.
  • In 1939, Principal John B. Pilette of the Celoron High School and Glidden Avenue school, announced the opening of schools on Sept. 5 at 9 a.m. Pupils riding the buses would follow the same schedule that was in effect during the last school term. Pupils in grades seven through 12 were to report to the High School auditorium at 9 a.m. Teachers would be on hand no later than 8:30 to help direct pupils to their proper places. The janitorial staff and contractors had been busy all summer cleaning, painting and repairing in and outside the buildings preparatory to the opening day. New furnaces had been installed in the grade school building along with installation of necessary parts to insure adequate ventilation and heat during the winter months.
  • Elimination of radio interference in the south central section of Jamestown had been effected according to B.A. Fessenden, radio trouble shooter for the municipal electric system. The interference had been traced to a power line which for about two days had been striking a guy line. Mr. Fessenden had been locating radio interference in the city for 11 years. He said that about 75 percent of interference arose in the homes and that if householders would check their own homes they could eliminate the trouble. He said services were available to those who wanted to check interference in the homes.
  • In 1989, proposed state legislation that would require stricter regulation of stables offering horseback rides had drawn mixed reactions locally. Assemblyman Robin Schimminger, D-Kenmore, had proposed a “safety in horseback riding code.” It was in reaction to the death the past May of a Tonawanda woman who died of head injuries suffered in a fall from a horse in Holland, when she was riding without a helmet. Her parents had filed a $2.2 million lawsuit against the stables owners, contending they failed to protect their daughter.
  • Captain Lawrence Wallace of the Jamestown Police Department was urging citizens to take “normal precautions” when they leave their cars for an extended period of time or overnight. Wallace said there had been a substantial increase in the number of thefts from cars reported to city police He suggested that people make sure their cars were locked at all times and that purses or other valuables were not left in plain sight. Six of eight crimes reported to city police during the past 24 hours and under investigation, were thefts from cars.