Westfield Employee Dies Of Electrocution

WESTFIELD – A Westfield village employee suffered fatal injuries as a result of an electrocution in the town of Westfield on Saturday.

According to New York State Police, Westfield Electric Department employee, William J. Boneberg, 62, of Westfield, sustained fatal injuries during the accident. New York State Police were called to the scene around 12:45 p.m., to the area of 7609 Route 20, just east of the village line.

According to Westfield Fire Chief William Bills, the fire department was initially dispatched for a report of a tree that fell into power lines. The department’s call was canceled when the village’s electric department was responding to the scene, Bills said. According to police, Boneberg was attempting to move a low-hanging live wire. As he attempted to move the wire, the line broke and fell landing on Boneberg electrocuting him.

Westfield Mayor Michael VandeVelde, on behalf of the village gave his condolences to the family. The village did offer counseling services to village personnel Saturday and will continue to offer them for village employees.

“We certainly plan to offer counseling services to any of our employees. We actually did have some counselors and local ministerial to talk to our firemen and our village personnel that were on scene,” he said. “We’re certainly very shaken up by the whole thing and we’re still trying to come to terms of it ourselves. It definitely is a tragedy. Certainly our heartfelt sympathies go out to the family.”

Boneberg was pronounced deceased at the scene by Chautauqua County Coroner Larry Wilcox. The investigation deemed the incident to be accidental in nature with no evidence of foul play. Westfield Police and EMS also assisted at the scene.