In Years Past

  • In 1914, Col. F.P. Cobham who had charge of the Conewango drainage with headquarters in Jamestown some years ago, and who had developed numerous inventions, was covered at some length in the Sunday magazine of the Cleveland Leader as the inventor of an F-ray which would make war impossible in the future as it would go through mountains, water and steel and explode all the powder of an arsenal or a battleship. The article was illustrated with pictures of war ships blown up, armies routed and general disaster caused merely by a man pressing a button miles away. There was also a very good picture of Col. Cobham and a picture of his invention.
  • The playgrounds of Jamestown were unusually well patronized during this summer. The new slides purchased for several of the playgrounds had proved very popular with the little children. There were various games provided: baseball, tennis, basketball and a variety of more quiet games and reading and story telling for the little folks. The shower baths were very attractive after vigorous exercise and were in great demand wherever they were provided.
  • In 1939, Jamestown City Council met at a hastily summoned special session and defeated a proposal to spend $750 for repairs to the Arcade building at 20-24 North Main St. City Treasurer Elmer Sellstrom presented the proposal, stating that the repairs were a practical necessity if the city was desirous of securing reasonable rentals from the building. He said he understood that Corporation Counsel Rollin Fancher would probably rule the plan illegal but expressed the opinion that council should take action in any event. President Paul Clark tried to force hasty approval of the proposal but was blocked by Mr. Fancher’s rule that the expenditure would be illegal as long as the city did not have title to the property.
  • About 50 members and visitors of the Kiantone Ladies’ Aid Society attended a meeting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Green of Busti. A tureen dinner was enjoyed at noon. Mrs. Bessie Dennison presided at the business meeting and led devotionals. It was decided to hold an ice cream social on July 28 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Abner Hagberg. Cake, pie, ice cream and sundaes would be served.
  • In 1964, Jamestowners in the vicinity of Third and Lafayette streets from 9 to 10 the past night probably felt like the coolest people in town. The temperature was still in the 70s when they witnessed a preview of the new Christmas decorations that would adorn the city’s new light standards in the coming Yuletide season. Many favorable comments were heard from passers-by as they observed the six different types of decorations hanging from the new light standards. Meanwhile, Christmas decorations or not, the steaming heat and humidity was going to continue.
  • Disaster in the form of fire struck for the second time in little more than nine months through destruction of a barn and its contents owned by Ripley Supervisor Andy Meeder and his son, Frank, near Route 76. A work crew had stored about 9,500 bales of hay in the barn. It was nearly filled to capacity when the fire broke out. The wooden building with metal roof was destroyed along with its contents of hay. Frank Meeder said the blaze might have been started by a short circuit in a conveyor belt’s two horsepower motor or possibly by a lightning bolt. A construction crew was working on rebuilding the main dairy barn, destroyed by fire Oct. 18.
  • In 1989, the Roger Tory Peterson Institute could break ground for a proposed Curtis Street headquarters as early as the following spring, according to the institute’s president. About two years after ground breaking, the institute could begin to move into the new building in phases, as it was completed, Jeffrey B. Froke, institute president, said.
  • Timo – a 2-year-old German Shepherd – was one of the newest members of the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Department. A native of Germany, Timo lived with James A. Carlson, a Sheriff’s deputy, and would go with Carlson when he was on duty. Before Timo joined the department, he and Carlson went to a two-month training school in Onondaga County. There, Timo was in intense training for 10 to 12 hours a day and received state certification.