In Years Past

In 1914, Jay Gould, son of W.W. Gould of Grand Valley, Pa., but living in Jamestown with his uncle, James Quinlan of the police force, had a narrow escape from death under a Newland Avenue street car near the corner of Park Street about 8:30 in the morning. Young Gould was on the car going east on this street, standing on the rear platform. The car was backing up to let a man off at the Park Street corner when the trolley flew off and the rope wound around Gould’s body so that when the trolley pole struck a guy wire, it jerked Gould out of the car and swung him around directly on the tracks. He saved himself from going under the wheels by grabbing hold of the fender. He was injured around the head, one knee and his hand was cut and sprained.

Following the hearing on the West Fourth Street paving opposition, the Jamestown Common Council held an almost interminable meeting Monday evening in the council chambers, the monotony of which was unbroken by either important business or any differences of opinion between the men. The session lasted until nearly 11 p.m. and the only matters of special interest discussed and acted on were a new resolution relative to the payment of the paving of street intersections on unopened streets and the purchase of a new fire engine.

In 1939, Driscoll Brothers Company of Buffalo, which had the contract for furnishing hot-mix asphalt paving material for Jamestown’s current street resurfacing program, ran into another annoyance when Donovan Maxwell of Jamestown started suit before Justice of the Peace Francis Moynihan to collect $200 in back wages from the firm. It was Maxwell who was reinstated in his job as crane operator at Driscoll Brothers mixing plant on Tiffany Avenue after council had reminded the company of its promise to hire local labor as much as possible. Maxwell had been laid off a week ago due to a labor dispute. On the morning he was placed back to work, the crane he was operating tipped over. Maxwell was fired as a result of the mishap.

Trial of the lawsuit in which Mayor Harry C. Erickson, Council President Paul A. Clark and 14 other city officials were accused of “collusive and fraudulent” acts in entering a contract to purchase hot-mix asphalt paving material from Driscoll Brother Company, would be sought at the earliest possible date, Corporation Counsel Rollin Fancher said. Fancher said that he was busy preparing an answer to the complaint filed against the 16 officials and the partners in the Buffalo firm. The answer would probably be ready early the following week.

In 1964, the Packard estate on West Terrace Avenue in Lakewood, an area showplace, had been purchased by a Philadelphia, Pa., advertising executive for his new home. The mansion was once the home of Mrs. J. Ward Packard, widow of the pioneer automobile manufacturer. The home had been vacant since her death in 1960. Barnes retired as of July 1 from his position as account executive with N.W. Ayer and Son, Inc., of Philadelphia, one of the oldest and largest advertising firms in the country. Barnes would move into the house July 22, with his wife, Mary Ellis and two children, Charlotte, 4, and Nicholas Jr. 2.

Jamestown City officials took what could be the first of several steps to help alleviate downtown traffic congestion. Acting on a recommendation by Police Chief John Paladino and Capt. Roy Peterson, members of City Council’s Public Safety Committee agreed to alter the flow of traffic on Third Street between Prendergast Avenue and Lafayette Street. Two lanes of traffic would go east and one west on Third Street. Peterson explained the move was a trial step necessitated by the ever-worsening traffic conditions in the downtown area. Officials didn’t discount the possibility of a bottleneck being created by the one-lane traffic. It was suggested motorists take an alternate route through the city to further help the traffic problems.

In 1989, Kennedy residents were clearing their yards of rocks, tree limbs and stumps in the wake of flash flooding that temporarily turned roads into stream beds the previous afternoon. A sudden downpour at about 1 p.m. yesterday swelled two creeks flowing through this community. During the 20 minutes of driving rain, knee-deep water raged down streets running parallel to the creeks, witnesses said. Heavy rainfall throughout the area overtaxed storm sewers and culverts, causing minor flooding in several communities but Kennedy was the hardest hit.

An 83-year-old widowed grandmother from Rochester walked away from the crash of the United Airlines DC-10 jetliner in Sioux City, Iowa, with singed eyebrows and a scraped nose. She recalled the frantic moments after the crash and her walk for “three or four blocks” through the Iowa cornfields. “I don’t ever want to see Iowa corn again,” said Fern Noyes of East Rochester. Noyes, sitting in Row 10, said she ended up stuck under her own seat. “I was hollering, ‘Please help me.’ I think being under the seat is what saved my life,” she said.