In Years Past

In 1914, Anna Eckerd, the 8-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Eckerd, escaped serious injury when she was struck by an automobile. Little Anna had been sent to mail a post card and had just gone out of her father’s store on East Second Street, Jamestown, in company with another little girl when she was struck by the automobile driven by a Mr. Young of Cherry Creek. The car did not run over the child but she was thrown a considerable distance. Eyewitnesses to the accident stated that Mr. Young was driving at a good speed when he hit the girl. He stopped his car and picked her up and took her to the office of Dr. J.M. Brooks where her injuries were attended.

Probably the first action of its kind to be brought before any magistrate in this section of the state had just been disposed of by Salamanca City Judge Whipple. Through it, Mary Geago, aged 18 years, had been committed to the Erie County Hospital at Buffalo on account of being a tuberculosis sufferer. Action was brought under the provisions of section 326A of chapter 559 of the statutes of 1913, taking effect in May of that year. The chapter was an amendment to the general public health laws of the state. The section applied to persons suffering from contagious, infectious or communicable diseases.

In 1939, the Falconer Fire Department carnival week opened this night with the presentation of the Convention Shows, featuring Jack Hoxie, former movie star, with his own movie company taking pictures daily in and around Falconer. The week would culminate with a big gala day Saturday when thousands of volunteer firemen of Chautauqua County would gather at Falconer for a big parade and other activities. The members of the fire department would be inspected Wednesday evening by the Falconer Village Board at the community building. The department quarters and apparatus would also be inspected.

The American Bar Association convention opened this day in San Francisco with delegates studying an assertion by U.S. Solicitor General Robert H. Jackson that lawyers must arrange a cut-rate service for wage earners or risk government control of their profession. “Our bar,” Jackson declared, “cannot claim to be discharging its full duty to society by rendering service that is out of reach of an increasing proportion of our people.”

In 1964, swirling flurries of snow were deposited on a small area in the vicinity of Sugar Grove, Pa. the previous afternoon during a freakish electrical storm which skirted the New York-Pennsylvania line and pelted the Kiantone-Frewsburg region with hail and rain. The unseasonable visitation of “white stuff” was enough to provide a brief powdery cover of highways and windshields before it melted and disappeared. No serious damage to crops in the area, due to the storm, had been reported.

Wesley N. Magnuson, 49, of Prospect Street, Jamestown, well-known southside resident and active in bowling leagues, died the previous evening. He was stricken while roller skating with his family at Midway Park. He was foreman of maintenance at the Marlin Rockwell Co., for the past 30 years. A prominent athlete both during his school days and at the YMCA, he also participated in community athletic teams and bowled with the Trans American Bowling Team of the Manufacturers’ Bowling League at Ten Pin Lanes. He and his wife were the first husband-and-wife team to be given life memberships in the Milton J. Fletcher PTA where he took an active interest in the PTA and chorus. A devoted family man and a genial favorite among many, Mr. Magnuson enjoyed a wide circle of friends.

In 1989, haying and corn growing were going well in the area now that the daily rains had stopped and more favorable growing and harvesting weather had been introduced to the area. Farmers were frustrated early in the haying season by extensive rains that also made it impossible to fit and plant many corn fields. A few got at least part of their corn in the ground before the sustained wet weather.

After three hearing postponements, the fate of a 130-foot-long wall along Route 20 was still in legal limbo. The wall – a source of conflict between the state Department of Transportation and its owners, Howard and Laura Green – remained unaltered despite DOT proposals that would eliminate or cut it to half its size, Howard Green told The Post-Journal. A court decision on the wall had been postponed four times since March 10 by Judge Joseph F. Mattina who had advised the Greens and DOT to try to reach an out-of-court settlement. “I’d like to get this thing cleared up,” said Mr. Green, adding that he had already spent “several thousand dollars” in legal fees.