In Years Past

  • In 1914, “I want to go again,” was the comment of Mrs. Edward Connelly, the first local woman to make a flight with A J. Engle, who was operating the hydroplane at Celoron in this season. The flight, which took place Tuesday evening, consisted of a trip to Driftwood and return at a height of from 600-700 feet. In describing the sensations experienced while traveling with rapidity through the air while separated by several hundreds of feet of distance from firm ground, she said, “Although there was a wind blowing, the machine traveled smoothly and evenly and it was much the same sensation that would be experienced sitting back leisurely in a luxurious chair in one’s own home. It was perfectly lovely and I want to go again.”
  • Angelo Guito, a boy about four years, was struck by shot from a gun fired by Dogcatcher E. Booth of Mayville, late Friday afternoon. Booth had been appointed the official dog catcher for this part of Chautauqua County, under quarantine for rabies. Thursday he visited Westfield and as he was walking down East Pearl Street he saw young Guito leading a bulldog by a rope. The dog wore no muzzle. Booth raised his gun and fired and one shot either flew wide of the mark or else glanced off a bone in the dog’s head and struck the boy just beneath the eye. Severe criticism was being made for allowing Booth to shoot dogs in the street. He should take them to some out of the way spot to be shot.
  • In 1939, Frederick P. Hall, president of The Journal Printing Company, publisher of The Jamestown Evening Journal and the Journal Press, Inc., and for a long period of years a leading figure in the life of the community, died at the Nassau County hospital at Mineola, Long Island, Friday night at the age of 79 years. Death was due to a fracture of one hip, sustained in a fall while attending the annual meeting of the New York Associated Dailies at the Lido Country Club at Long Beach, on June 26. He had just been honored with a life membership in the organization, which he assisted in forming 40 years ago, and stepped back to take his seat at his chair which fell from the dais. At first he made excellent progress toward recovery but on Thursday his condition took a sudden change for the worse and the end came the previous night.
  • The Children’s Health Camp at Cassadaga was the scene of much activity on Friday when the children began to arrive for a six-week stay. Everything was in readiness for them and within a short time after their arrival, the youngsters were busy getting settled in and enjoying themselves on the playground. Sixty-five children came from Jamestown and this day children from other parts of the county were admitted. The American Legion provided the transportation for the children from Jamestown who were driven there in cars.
  • In 1964, a conference of Indian missionaries had wired President Johnson, asking him to fulfill the late President Kennedy’s pledge of help for the Seneca Indians. The Senecas had to leave their reservation in southwestern New York state by Oct. 1 to make way for the U.S. Army’s Kinzua Dam project. More than 350 Indian missionaries of 15 Protestant denominations, meeting in triennial conference at Estes Park, Colo., joined in the message to Washington. House and Senate conferees had met several times, without success, in efforts to work out a compromise in their bills, to compensate the Indians.
  • Substantial improvement in the performance of Jamestown High School students on State Regents examinations was reported to the Board of Education by Dr. Harold O’Neal, superintendent of schools. Preliminary analysis of test results had revealed that the percentages of local students who passed Regents exams administered in January and June were higher than the previous year in 12 subject areas. Major gains were registered in the third year German test, passed by 100 percent of the students this year as against 75 percent the past year.
  • In 1989, the sounds of Doc Severinsen’s trumpet filled the air at Chautauqua’s amphitheater on a muggy Friday evening. The appearance by Severinsen and his band, Facets, wound up the second week of the institution’s 115th season.
  • Without words, they assumed their familiar positions, spontaneously in front of WKBW-TV’s shiny silver studio near Lake Erie in Buffalo; Rick Azar to the left, Irv Weinstein in the middle and Tom Jolls to his right. “Just the way it’s always been,” remarked Azar wistfully before a photographer snapped one of the final remembrances of a 24-year relationship that earned the trio a place in television history. The retirement of sportscaster Azar on June 30 ended what possibly was America’s longest-running anchor team in the business. Capital Cities Broadcasting, which owned the station in 1965 when the three were first teamed, couldn’t have had a clue that the combination of the debonair Azar, the brash Weinstein and the unassuming Jolls would become so firmly entrenched in the consciousness of Western New York viewers.