In Years Past

In 1914, Arthur Goranson, organist of the Swedish Zion Mission Church in Jamestown, gave a delightful organ recital in the church Thursday evening, playing a difficult program in a creditable way. He was assisted by Samuel Thorstenberg, organist and choirmaster of the First Lutheran Church, who rendered several baritone solos. Prayers were offered by John Hagelin. The concert was given under the auspices of the Young People’s Society in the Benevolent Society.

The Meadville Tribune said there was a persistent report on the streets Thursday night, too late to verify, that the Erie Railroad shops would go on full time the following week. While this was almost too good for belief just now, it was credited by some who heard the report, one strong argument being that the accumulation of work required an increase in the working time. The Erie shops had been on short time for several months and until recently, were working only three days of eight hours a week. A short time ago the time was increased to four days but it had been a long time since the rule for full time and if such an order was made it would be hailed with delight by the employees who had had a “hard run for it” through the season of increasing high costs of living.

In 1939, Ripley schools were closed this day and would remain closed until June 2 and every pupil was ordered quarantined in his own home until that time. This order was reported by Dr. Paul S. Person, Ripley health officer. This became imperative when it was found that the last victim of the smallpox reported to the office two days previously had exposed practically the entire student body. No new cases had developed and officials believed that with strict quarantine and daily visits to those ill or exposed, the epidemic would be stifled. Chautauqua County had 250 persons, mostly young people, under quarantine for smallpox according to Dr. Robert L. Vought of Jamestown. In addition, hundreds, perhaps more than 1,000 persons, had been vaccinated against the disease as the result of the epidemic at Ripley. Even over the state line in northwestern Pennsylvania, the effect of the outbreak at Ripley was seen.

The Ghost Class E scow owned by Harold V. Lundquist, capsized off the Yacht Club at Lakewood about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday, in a stiff breeze that rose suddenly and whipped the lake into a white frenzy. Richard Lundquist, son of the owner, was at the tiller at the time. Robert Putney and Walter Shaw were serving with him as members of the crew. None of the men were hurt. The three young men managed to keep clear when the boat overturned and experienced little difficulty in lowering the mainsail of the craft and righting it. The boat was sailed into the Yacht Club dock. Many persons were watching the boat when the accident occurred, it being about the only boat visible on the lake at the time.

In 1989, Gov. Mario Cuomo said restoring the death penalty in New York would put the state “arm in arm with South Africa and the Soviet Union.” Noting that most industrialized nations had abandoned the death penalty, Cuomo told a rally of death penalty opponents that “we don’t need that ugly instruction in violence for this great state.” The rally, attended by about 400 people, was staged by Amnesty International and other groups opposed to the death penalty.

Six New York teenagers were safe after being lost for about 21 hours in the Allegheny National Forest in McKean County, Pa. The teenagers, all students with the Buffalo Alternative Education Program, were found by forest rangers in the Handsome Lake Campground on the shore of the Allegheny Reservoir shortly after 11 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said. “The students are safe and OK. Nobody’s going home. It sounds like they had a great adventure,” said U.S. Forest Service Ranger Corbin Newman.