In Years Past

  • In 1914, fire this forenoon in Jamestown called the auto chemical wagon to 22 Chapman St. where a small garage standing beside and adjoining the house owned and occupied by Nels Olson, was found ablaze. The garage was occupied by an automobile owned by Olson on which a lot of work was in progress, so the car was taken down and in parts about the building. The car was very badly burned and the building nearly completely destroyed. It stood between two frame houses, both very close, one house being less than a foot away but the quick run and good work of the chemicals saved both buildings.
  • The Jamestown City Hall was filled with people Thursday evening, the fourth night of the bazaar which was being conducted there for the benefit of the Gustavus Adolphus orphanage. Excellent music was furnished by the choir of the First Lutheran Church and Mayor Steven Carlson was the speaker of the evening. It was the most successful and gratifying evening of the bazaar as yet.
  • In 1939, amateur cracksmen made an attempt on the safe of the Pearl City Laundry Company on Market Street, Jamestown, Sunday night but succeeded only in smashing the combination dial and handle from the door of the vault. The job was similar in most respects to an equally amateurish attempt made a week previously on the safe of the Lang Baking Company on Washington Street. In neither case did the thieves succeed in entering the safe. In fact, in the past night’s job at the laundry office they actually overlooked a small amount of cash that was in a cash drawer of a desk standing a few feet from the safe.
  • Jamestown’s situation with reference to the supply of soft coal was unchanged since the past Thursday when The Journal published the results of its survey showing no danger of a shortage for at least two weeks, a recheck this day showed. Both local hospitals and the municipal light and water plants had adequate supplies for fuel for several weeks. Stocks in the hands of local manufacturers and in the yards of local coal dealers should be adequate for the city’s industries for a period of two to three weeks, according to those who were keeping watch of the situation.
  • In 1964, Barbara Maude Trippy, 6, of Mayville, was killed the previous evening when she ran into the path of an eastbound car, 1,000 feet from her home. A daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Trippy, the child was the 12th Chautauqua County motor vehicle victim to date. Her father, a former deputy sheriff, was head of the Traffic Safety Division of New York State Thruway Authority. Dr. Harold H. Saxton pronounced the child dead at the scene. Barbara had been playing in the street with other playmates. Besides her parents, the child, a grade 1 student, was survived by two brothers and a sister, Paul Trippy, Richard Trippy and Brenda Trippy.
  • A 46-year-old resident was termed as in very critical condition at Meyer Memorial Hospital, Buffalo, where he was undergoing treatment for burns over about 90 percent of his body. The fire victim was identified as Fred Kelsey, who lived in an old bus body at the rear of the Nick Rizzo farm on Route 20 near Portland. About 2:30 a.m. he collapsed on the breezeway floor at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rizzo Jr., Main Street, Portland. Mrs. Rizzo said their home was about one half mile from where he resided and that he apparently walked the distance after being burned. There was a bed in the rear section of the bus where Kelsey resided and a small wood burning stove near the front door. Deputies said the bus was damaged extensively and the rear section was partially destroyed.
  • In 1989, a diamond ring found with skeletal remains in a shallow grave along the Narrows Road belonged to a Salamanca woman who disappeared nine years ago, police had confirmed. Police also found remnants of a nightgown and robe which, they said, supports their theory that the remains were those of Karen Damon, who disappeared from her Oak Street home the night of April 12, 1980. The grave was discovered when William Campbell parked his car along the road and was climbing a hill to check on spring plantings. Police said a nearly complete female skeleton was found buried about a foot below the ground. Miss Damon was 23 years old when she disappeared from her home during the night. She left behind her hearing-impaired daughter, who was being raised by relatives.
  • About 100 photographs, movie posters and other items mirroring the career of Lucille Ball could be seen at the Fenton Historical Center in Jamestown May 15-27, to coincide with Miss Ball’s visit to the city, set for May 18-21. The display of Lucy memorabilia was only a small portion of a collection kept by Sandra Hosking of Toronto. Ms. Hosking said she began her collection because she was attracted to Lucy’s on-screen character and because the program was always fun and entertaining.