Trash Fire Burns Down Garage In Lakewood

LAKEWOOD – The garage of a Lakewood residence was completely destroyed Thursday after an adjacent trash fire set it ablaze.

Lakewood, Panama and Busti fire crews responded to the scene – located at 4493 Baker St. – at approximately 3 p.m., where they found the garage in flames and already leveled.

According to Kurt Hallberg, Lakewood fire chief, the homeowner was burning trash outside when the flames accidentally lit the garage on fire.

The garage was deemed a total loss. No injuries were reported.

“No one should be burning trash,” said Hallberg, citing a New York prohibition of trash burning between March 15 and May 15.

Lakewood-Busti Police said filing an appearance ticket remains a possibility.