In Years Past

In 1914, by the following Tuesday, at the latest, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa and about every other Canadian city of importance would know all about the latest dance wiggles and would have all the up-to-date styles, including the new bustle thingamajig. Twenty thousand Canadians, who were coming to New York as fashion and fun scouts for their native land, would have returned with their spoils by Tuesday. Every year there was a Canadian invasion at Easter and this year more folk were coming from the Dominion than ever before. Fifteen special trains arrived over the New York Central from Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, Toronto and other cities. These trains would bring 3,000 Canadians.

Friends and acquaintances of Charles E. Backus would learn with pleasure and interest that he had had enough of the strenuous life in Mayville and had returned to the comparatively peaceful surroundings of Jamestown, his old home, and would reside here in the future. He had taken the position of sales manager of the Peterman Garage Company of Jamestown and in declaiming the virtues of this and that make of auto, would forget the activities at the county seat which for several days kept his name in big black type in two thirds of the newspapers of the county.

In 1939, Wilton Nygren, 25, of Kinney Street, Jamestown, was in critical condition at Jamestown General Hospital as a result of injuries suffered at about 8 p.m. Sunday night when the motorcycle he was operating collided with a light truck driven by Kenneth Jensen, 16, of R.F.D. 4. The accident occurred on the Hunt Road near the intersection of the Sugar Grove Road and not far from the Floyd Busbey home. Nygren was suffering from fractures and cuts and bruises all about his body and shock. Hospital authorities said that his condition was very poor. The Jensen boy and Alton Denning, also of R.F.D. 4, who was riding with Jensen, were somewhat shaken up but were otherwise uninjured.

A peculiar accident which might have resulted in stark tragedy occurred Sunday noon near Erie, Pa., when the Ralph E. Lundquist family of Lakewood was driving to that city to spend Easter Sunday with friends. Their two sons, David, 7, and Thomas, 3, were in the back seat playing with their toys. Somehow the belt of Tommy’s coat became caught on the handle of the door and as he bent to pick up a toy his belt pulled the handle down. The door swung open and he was hurled across the highway to the soft shoulder, where he rolled over several times. David screamed as the door swung open and Mrs. Lundquist turned her head in time to see her little son being thrown across the road. Mr. Lundquist stopped the car and the boy was able to get to his feet but he was taken to the emergency ward of Saint Vincent Hospital in Erie, where he was treated and released. He was now at home on Terrace Ave., in Lakewood, done up in many bandages but a mighty fortunate little one at that.

In 1964, May Marsh carried a lamp from the home she had occupied for 40 years as she left the hamlet of Corydon, Pa., under federal orders. Authorities had said that the area must be vacated if the Kinzua Dam project was to continue on schedule. Two families defied the order. The previous day’s action resulted in three of the five families in the Corydon area packing up and abandoning their homes. The only holdouts, according to U.S. marshals, were Richard and Henry Ruth, who informed the government officials that they had no intentions of leaving their properties. Furthermore, they informed chief U.S. Marshal Robert Morphy that eviction attempts would be met with violence.

Jamestown Mayor Fred H. Dunn got set to perform the ceremonial ribbon cutting at 10 a.m. this day formally inaugurating escalator service at Bigelow’s Department Store. Others on hand were John B. Sewell, store secretary; Bert L. Hough, former general manager; Gordon P. Woods, vice president; Franklin W. Bigelow, president and Robert B. Buchan, board chairman. The escalator, first of its kind in Jamestown, provided service to the third floor of the store. It augmented service provided by three elevators.

In 1989, motorists driving up to gasoline pumps were getting less for more. And the head of a gasoline retailer’s group said he thought consumers should ask for a federal investigation of increases of as much as 12 cents a gallon at service stations over the past week and a half. “I personally feel it’s (the price increase) due to the fact of the oil spill,” said Norman Grapes, executive director of United Gasoline Retailer’s Association of Cheektowaga, which represented Western New York retailers. “Exxon said it would just affect the West Coast,” he said. “But when Exxon raised its prices, everyone else went along with it. I think Exxon is trying to make the public help pay for the spill.”

North Main Street in downtown Jamestown looked more like the North Pole on this morning at the intersection with Second Street. Snow was not heavy but was driven at times by a howling wind, creating blizzard-like conditions. Forecasters said parts of the Southern Tier could get up to six inches before the day was over as winds stiffened and temperatures plunged below freezing.