In Years Past

In 1914, fire which destroyed the dry room and contents in the Limberg Laundry on Davis Street in Falconer at an early hour of the morning, filled the two-story-and-basement building so full of suffocating smoke that Mrs. Carl Limberg, her four children and the maid, Mable Jacobson, had to be taken off the second-floor balcony by the firemen on ladders. The family probably escaped suffocation by being awakened by the coughing of their 2-year-old child, Esther, who was suffering from a hard cold and choked from the smoke before anyone else woke up. This woke up Limberg who roused her husband. He notified the neighbors and the fire department but could not get back inside the building owing to the dense smoke.

The water in Chautauqua Lake and the Chadakoin River was still rising, according to the readings taken at the boatlanding bridge by Jamestown City Engineer Jones but it was still much lower than at the high-water record of a year previously. Reports indicated that the water was encroaching on the Celoron road to some extent but so far had not reached the street car tracks which were higher than the roadway. The current cold snap, it was hoped, would check the further rise of water.

In 1939, another name had been added to the long list of medical specialists that in past years had died of the disease in which they were specializing. Dr. Carroll G. Roberts died of pneumonia at a Buffalo hospital Thursday night. Roberts specialized in the treatment of pneumonia. He pioneered the use of the new drug sulfapyridine and had reported marked success. He was intensely keen to cut down the pneumonia toll and was particularly interested in this new drug. Two weeks ago he read a paper to the Medical Union detailing 33 cases treated with this drug, 32 of which recovered. He therefore thought it was a most desirable remedy. But he developed the disease himself and the drug did not save him although administered in appropriate quantities.

Possibly with the realization that Easter was at hand, one of the white giant hens at the home of R.I. Spencer, Spencer Road, Kiantone, laid an egg that was one of the largest ever seen in this vicinity. The egg, which was displayed at The Journal office on the previous morning, weighed 6 ounces. It measured 9 inches around one way and 8 inches the other way. It was 3 inches long. Spencer reported that the hen had laid several large eggs recently but this one was the largest.

In 1964, 36 young boys caused vandalism damages in Jamestown the past month estimated at more than $1,000 according to the Police Youth Bureau which warned the parents must assume more responsibility. The bureau also reported that complaints of damages by BB guns or pellet guns also were increasing. Six boys were apprehended with BB guns within a recent week and the parents were asked to come to the police station for a talk with the boys. Eight boys between the ages of 9 and 14 caused an estimated $500 damage to a vacant gas station and living quarters the past month by breaking windows and other damaging acts. A window smashing spree by 12 boys aged 7 to 12 caused damage to a vacant house.

Little Theater of Jamestown tallied a big hit the past night with its old fashioned vaudeville show. Songs, dances, comedy, magic acts, a piano solo and a scene from the bowery, all added up to make the program different and delightful. “If Men Played Cards As Women Do,” was one of the hilarious acts of the evening.