In Years Past

In 1914, the investigation by officials of the Buffalo, Lockport & Rochester railway early this day failed to throw any light on the mysterious starting of an unmanned trolley car late the past night and the subsequent head-on collision with another car at Mabee’s, two miles east of Gasport, which resulted in the death of one man and the injury to 17 others. The man killed outright was Glenn W. Bridgeman of Lockport. Of the 17 injured, nine were taken to hospitals at Medina and Lockport and others, less seriously hurt, were taken to their homes. Of the injured, two might die. Motorman Edward Martin and Conductor Robert Baxter said they left the car standing in front of the station at Gasport and went inside. They heard the car start and before they could reach the door, it had gone to full speed.

The senate, in Washington, went on record in favor of a constitutional amendment for equal suffrage. The vote was 35 to 34 in favor of the resolution but as two-thirds vote was required to pass the resolution, it failed to carry. This defeat was the hardest blow the equal suffrage advocates had received in their campaign to force congress to act favorably on the equal suffrage question. An amendment offered by Senator Williams of Mississippi, restricting woman suffrage to white women, was lost by a vote of 44 to 21.

In 1939, a triumphant skunk on Thursday morning, held the downtown business region of Westfield at bay. Seen meandering down the north side of Main Street about 7:30, he took possession of the open doorway leading upstairs to the Odd Fellows lodge hall. There he held the fort. one lodge time and still Jimmy Skunk remained on guard and briefly there were no Odd Fellows odd enough to risk disturbing Jimmy and the meeting was off. Bystanders, and not very close bystanders at that, had an assortment of suggestions as to routing Jimmy from his stand but not one suggestion was carried out. Sometime in the night Jimmy disappeared but his memory lingered on.

Jimmy Levack, nationally known pistol, rifle and shotgun expert, demonstrated his ability with firearms before 125 people at the Celoron Rod and Gun Club Sunday afternoon. He tossed three potatoes into the air, breaking them with a .22-caliber rifle with which he also smashed mothball targets. He hit spinning washers on the edges, making them disappear from sight and performed spectacular feats with a .44-40 rifle as well as showing how a shotgun should be handled.

In 1964, the Jamestown General Hospital medical staff said it viewed with “grave concern” City Council’s action two weeks ago in enlarging the hospital board from seven to nine members. In a statement made public this day, the medical staff declared: “Nothing is more corrosive and destructive to the morale, efficiency and even the financial health of a public supported hospital then to introduce the element of political expediency.”

Robert S. Koon, The Post-Journal managing editor, not only had printer’s ink in his veins – but all over his lawn, too. Rushing to pump out his flooded cellar during the recent flood threats in the area of Lakewood, he grabbed some tubing from the pressroom to use as a hose. No one thought to check the tubing for ink residue. As a result, his lawn had taken on an ebony hue.

In 1989, spring had arrived and with it came construction work. Workers for Cleveland Trinidad Paving of Cleveland, started work on the Fairmount Avenue widening project on this morning at the corner of Catlin and Fairmount avenues in Jamestown. Spring arrived with little fanfare, though, looking more like winter than the season that signaled a reawakening. Meteorologist Rich Webber of the Buffalo office of the National Weather Service put it in perspective. “I think we had spring this winter and maybe we’ll get winter this spring,” he said.

No one was hurt in a fire in a duplex on Maple Street in Celoron which kept firefighters from Celoron and Lakewood busy in pelting snow Saturday evening. The family dog was credited with smelling smoke and alerting the family to escape. Investigators believed the blaze might have started after something fell onto a heating register, causing the furnace to overheat.