In Years Past

In 1914, the defense of Albert Edward Beardsley that he shot Poormaster Putnam in defense of his home, was proving an exceedingly slim reed to lean upon. It had not impressed the court as Beardsley would like to have the court impressed, it had not impressed the spectators as some anticipated and, in view of the proceedings this forenoon, it was not likely to impress the jury. After Sheriff Anderson had been dismissed from the stand, Deputy Sheriff Colegrove was examined for the prosecution by District Attorney Stearns and cross examined by Robert H. Jackson, of counsel for the defense. This was Mr. Jackson’s first active appearance in the case.

Arthur A. Amidon, the Prohibition nominee for mayor of Jamestown and the man on whom it was said the bulk of the opposition to Mayor Samuel A. Carlson’s re-election would center, arrived home to Jamestown this day from Albany, where he had been attending a hearing before the assembly excise committee on a proposed constitutional amendment for statewide prohibition.Said the candidate, “I feel deeply grateful for the honor of being nominated for mayor and while I feel that my interests are tied up with the board of education, yet I think, in the interests of the party and the city, I will make as strong a campaign as I can for the office. I have received assurances of support from many citizens of Jamestown and I will try to deserve the good things they have said about me.”

In 1939, Donald G. White, president of the White Aircraft Company, Inc., flew to Jamestown from Buffalo the previous afternoon to continue negotiations with a local group interested in bringing the White Aircraft enterprise to this city. Mr. White was met at the airport by Mayor Harry C. Erickson and others of the interested local group. Although negotiations were not yet complete, The Journal was informed that it appeared very likely that the White Company would locate its manufacturing plant here. If present plans matured, the company would also lease the municipal airport to assume full responsibility for its operation. The operation plans contemplated a well-equipped flying school.

An excellent cast played Susan and God in Jamestown Friday evening. The cast was afforded a large audience at Shea’s theater for the production of Rachel Crother’s dynamic comedy-drama. The sweet music of applause lingered long after the final curtain of the superb performance, for the most distinguished group of players seen in Jamestown in many a moon. Years hence, some discriminating Little Theater group would probably pounce on Susan and God to play as a straight dramatic commentary on the erratic age which now was ours.

In 1964, nine-year-old John Ross was back in school this day none the worse for an ordeal which, but for a timely rescue, might have had a tragic ending. John and a schoolmate, Donald Johnson, 8, had ventured into a large open field near the Hundred Acre Lot. They were about midway between Curtis and Hotchkiss streets when the thin layer of ice gave way beneath their feet and they sank into muck above their knees. Donald managed to make his way to firm ground but John was unable to extricate himself. The more he struggled, the deeper he sank. Donald raced to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Earl R. Hall, 233 Hotchkiss St., and told them of John’s plight. Mrs. Hall arrived and found the boy had sunk into mud up to his hips. She was able to find solid footing close enough to grasp the boy’s hands and pull him from the mud. After receiving a hot bath and change of clothing, he was soon reported feeling perfectly normal.

Members of the Jamestown Retail Merchants Association executive board said they would delay any recommendation on a proposed amendment to the state’s Sabbath Laws until a larger group of merchants had studied it. The amendment was currently being studied by legislators in Albany. Guy B. Saxton, association secretary, said the amendment to the controversial Sunday opening laws, would mean that a merchant could remain open on Sunday if he closed some other day. It would further stipulate that if a merchant remained open on Sunday, he must not hire anyone to work on that day. He and his immediate family must do the business.

In 1989, Debbie Byren, a marketing employee of New Jersey Bell held a display unit that was used with a “Caller ID” service that would let a person know who was calling before they answered the phone. The service, used in New Jersey, was drawing opposition in Pennsylvania from consumer and civil rights advocates who said it would invade privacy and break a state anti-wiretap law.

Early the past Saturday morning about 150 children gathered in the Holiday Inn ballroom to watch a 38-year-old man try to set a world record. He was jumping rope. It looked easy enough – but they knew Bob Commers had been up all night. In fact he had been hopping the rope about 140 times per minute for 18 hours and, as mandated by Guiness Book rules, Commers only took five minutes each hour to grab a bite, a drink or take care of necessities, such as soothing newly formed blisters. Meanwhile, donations were pouring in to the Southern Tier’s American Heart Association, which had invited Commers to Jamestown for its 11th annual fund-raising drive. He stayed with it until he buried the former record by an hour and reached his goal of jumping rope for 23 hours.