In Years Past

In 1914, the investigation of the alleged intemperate habits of Dr. Daniel H. Arthur, superintendent of the state hospital at Gowanda, had a little more business and less fun this day than had characterized the proceedings heretofore. Mindful of some of the embarrassing experiences the past week an attorney, one August Merrill of Utica, was summoned posthaste to Gowanda to conduct the investigation on behalf of the prosecution. Merrill got in on the morning train. He didn’t know anything about the case but he didn’t need to know much for, as he expressed it, “the whole thing is a very simple issue.”

Jamestown City Clerk Clement B. Jones was laid up at the Jones General Hospital with a painful attack of sciatica. Jones had an attack two weeks ago but improved sufficiently to return to this office at City Hall. He had another attack Monday morning and his physician advised him to go to the hospital for a few days. W.T. Marsh was named as acting clerk to take the minutes of the common council at the meeting Monday evening and just before adjournment the council adopted a resolution naming Allan A. Thayer as acting clerk during the city clerk’s absence.

In 1939, six companies of firemen utilizing all apparatus in the city, yesterday fought a stubborn blaze in the third story warehouse of the Lawson Furniture Company, 1-7 N. Main St., Jamestown, which also caused smoke and water damage to stock of Loblaw Groceterias Inc. on the two floors below. Shortly before 11 o’clock, Albert C. Johnson of Newland Avenue, shipping clerk of the Lawson company, discovered the flames in a pile of mattresses stored near the elevator shaft in the rear of the building. Rushing back to the retail store at 15 N. Main St., a few doors away, he gave the alarm and then collapsed from shock, later being removed to his home. What caused the fire was apparently unknown.

Jamestown police arrested one man and took another to the hospital as the result of a fist fight following an argument over a cribbage game. Harold Young, 42, was in Jamestown General Hospital in serious condition suffering from a possible fractured skull and George Keller, 62, was in jail on a charge of assault, the degree to be determined on the outcome of Young’s injuries. Keller said he dropped into the Chadakoin Grill at the boatlanding and met Young. Soon the two started a game of cribbage. They hadn’t gone very far, however, before an argument took place and the game broke up. Keller said he went home and as he stepped on the porch, Young, who had followed him, swung at him and knocked his glasses off. Then each started to flail the other with his fists and Young dropped to the pavement.

In 1964, Jamestown Police Chief John Paladino urged motorists to comply with the section of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law that required they signal before making a turn. He said it was important that motorists make a signal, either by holding out an arm or by using an adequate signal device, about 100 feet before a turn. Many motorists, he said, signaled either just before going into the turn or while in it. This offered little warning to motorists following or approaching in the opposite direction, he said.

The Bemus Point Central School Board of Education had announced completion of plans and specifications for its new junior-senior high school. Official advertising notices to prospective bidders would appear in The Post-Journal on Feb. 11. Architectural plans and specifications for general construction, electrical, heating, ventilating and plumbing contracts could be obtained from the office of Julian Naetzker Associates of Lafayette St., Jamestown. The board wished to thank the voters of the district for the patience and consideration they had shown during the past nine months.

In 1989, the wind chill was 30 below zero, but 10 Armenian children seeking treatment for injuries they received in December’s earthquake in the Soviet Union received a warm welcome at the Buffalo Airport. The children were among 37 who arrived in the United States as part of a humanitarian effort sponsored by Project Hope, a private foundation working with U.S. hospitals. Earlier in the day, First Lady Barbara Bush welcomed the children to Washington, saying, “this is a very important part of our country, giving and caring about other people.”

The previous day’s winter weather apparently caused many parents to declare the day a holiday from school in Jamestown. Although school was in session, across the district’s eight primary and middle schools, 1,024 children didn’t show up. The large number of absentees caused some to speculate that parents kept their children home because of the walking distance.