In Years Past

In 1914, many would learn with pleasure that the pier at Cheney’s Point was to be rebuilt and that the steamers of the Chautauqua Steamboat company would make regular stops there during the summer. This was one of the improvements in the steamboat service which President A.N. Broadhead contemplated. The steamboat company built a pier at Cheney’s Point at the time Broadhead was in control several years previously. Soon after he sold the steamers, the landing at that point was discontinued and only a few piles of the old pier remained. Broadhead believed there was plenty of business for the steamers and he planned to provide a service that had never been surpassed.

Funeral services for little Laura Buffum, who died as the result of arsenic poisoning on Monday, were held at Little Valley at 2 p.m. the previous afternoon. The Rev.O.H. Sibley, pastor of the Methodist church, officiated. Helen Tickup and Neva Pratt of the Methodist choir each sang a solo. The bearers were the four brothers of the little girl. Nearly the whole village turned out for the services in the Little Valley Rural cemetery, where Laura was laid to rest beside her father and little brother. Many of these had viewed the body for the last time the past evening when it lay in state at the family home. Relatives later went to the county jail where a short prayer service was held in the cell of the girl?s mother.

In 1939, in Syracuse, Assistant Fire Chief Charles A. Boynton, who for three days had led workers searching for the bodies of eight firemen killed in a downtown blaze, died suddenly at his home this day. Relatives blamed a heart attack induced by overexertion and the strain attendant upon the last few days. Boynton, wearied from a long night of duty, during which the last bodies were recovered from the wreckage of a collapsed, burning warehouse, collapsed and died about 10 a.m. Mayor Rolland B Marvin, who returned from a mid-winter vacation in Florida because of the tragedy, said the state of emergency that kept several city blocks roped off in the vicinity of the fire and collapse would end this day.

Victor E. Davison of Cross Street, Jamestown, and Jack Patti of Jones & Gifford Avenue, were arrested at the yard of the Lake Coal Company on Monroe Street on charges of violating Section 2A of the weights and measures law. Specifically, the men were charged with violating a recently enacted city ordinance which compelled coal dealers to have a floor under their coal and a roof overhead to keep it from absorbing moisture. According to Carl A. Larson, sealer of weights and measures, Davison and Patti had been warned to comply with the terms of the ordinance but had refused to do so.

In 1964, an 18-year-old Fredonia College freshman who received $500 from her parents to pay for her second semester educational expenses was reported as missing late Wednesday night. The missing person broadcast was made by Fredonia police who stated the student was Ellen Barbara Grossman of New Hyde Park, L.I. Police said she was believed to be in the company of a former Fredonia College student identified as Keith Kesling, 22, of Binghamton who had $300 on his person. The girl, according to police, was en route either to California or New Orleans, according to information obtained from the girl’s classmates.

Six-year-old Charles Lee Darling, Briggs Street, Jamestown, ran into the path of a car driven by Courtney A. Lundgren, 47, of Fairmount Ave., Lakewood, at 3:35 p.m., at Foote Avenue and Harrison Street. Lundgren stopped for the traffic light on Harrison Street and as the car moved with the green light, the boy ran against the machine, police said. Officer L. Eugene Sanden took the boy to WCA Hospital where he was admitted after an examination, which revealed he suffered a forehead injury. His condition was listed as fair.

In 1989, the last Red Army convoys abandoned their garrisons and headed north for home this day, Soviet officials said, bringing to an end a nine-year adventure that cost more than 13,000 Soviet lives. Hundreds of Soviet troops, meanwhile, guarded the airport of the war-weary Afghanistan capital of Kabul as military transports ferried in loads of grain and other supplies to help ease food shortages caused by guerrilla blockades. In Moscow, the Communist Party newspaper Pravda reported that “the last Soviet soldier left Kabul” on Sunday. But Soviet officials in the city said about 1,000 troops would remain at the airport until the end of the week.

An Olean youth was killed at about 1:15 p.m. Sunday when his shotgun accidentally discharged and lodged a 12-gauge deer slug in his chest, according to Olean police. Ryan Hughes, 16, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roderick Hughes of Olean, was pronounced dead by Cattaraugus County Coroner Rex A. McIntosh at Olean General Hospital. Hughes and a companion, Todd Van Dyke, 17, also of Olean, reportedly were hunting squirrels when Hughes gun jammed. Van Dyke told police he looked in another direction after hearing a noise then heard a shot. Van Dyke said he ran about two miles for help.