Early Morning Fire Destroys Gerry Home
GERRY – Nearly a dozen fire departments responded to a devastating house fire Monday in Gerry, with one firefighter sustaining minor injuries.
According to the Gerry Fire Department, the fire – which started at approximately 2:30 a.m. in a house located at 4069 Route 380 – caused significant structural damage and forced the roadway to be closed for several hours.
A firefighter reportedly slipped on the ice and sustained minor injuries. The sole occupant of the house safely evacuated. No other injuries were reported.
Dave Hall, vice president of the Gerry Fire Department, said the cause of the fire was likely an electrical service wire that short-circuited.
“It’s just one of those strange things that happen,” said Hall, who indicated that an investigation into the short circuit will continue.
The Gerry Fire Department was assisted by the Cassadaga, Kiantone, Frewsburg, Maple Springs, Ellery Center, Sinclairville, Ellington, Ashville, Stockton and Bemus Point Fire departments.