In Years Past

In 1914, a call for medical assistance sent in from the Beardsley house to Dr. George W. Reynolds of Mayville, was the chief event of interest in the seventh day of the Beardsley siege. This authentic call for help set at rest the rumors that the alleged accident to one of the women in the house, was fake. Reynolds was told that the gunshot wound in her right thigh was beginning to swell and had become very painful. The gunshot wound was said to be the result of an accident. A dense fog shrouded the Beardsley home all the early hours of the day, cutting off both the prying eyes of would-be spectators to whatever was occurring there and the efforts of photographers and moving picture men to get further views of the scene of the siege. The fog afforded an opportunity to escape but at this time it was not thought that any move of this kind had been made by Beardsley. The besieged man seemingly felt too confident that his bulwark of women and children was impregnable to make any effort to get away. This was probably true.

Sugar Grove seemed to be getting its share of snow and drifts and everyone had a hard time getting around during this week. Both stages were tied up, the Jamestown stage tipping over and having to be shoveled out. Tuesday they did not try to go at all. The mail started for Youngsville Monday at the usual time. They got as far as Chandlers Valley and had to stay all night and be shoveled through to Youngsville Tuesday forenoon. Tuesday, the four rural mail carriers did not try to go at all. Some of the pupils from out in the country had not returned to school.

In 1939, it must be just that good old country air! Anyways, Watson Truesdell, over 80 years of age and one of the oldest residents of Ashville, made up his mind he would go coasting. Picking North Maple Street hill as the spot for his epoch making ride, Truesdell on Thursday borrowed a small sled and walked to a good height and under excellent coasting conditions zoomed down the hill at breakneck speed. He seemingly enjoyed the ride, according to reports, although he didn’t venture to try it again.

The case of a coal peddler who was arrested for weighing his coal in a manner different than the law prescribed, was disposed of in Jamestown City Court this day. The coal peddler, William H.. Barr, of Marble, Pa., who was convicted Jan. 5 of a technical violation, received a suspended sentence. He got in wrong with the law because he did not dump his load at the nearest scale, weigh his truck then reload and weigh both coal and truck to check the net weight. Instead, Barr weighed his truck with the load on, delivered the coal to the place of consignment and returned to the scale and weighed the empty truck which the law said you mustn’t do.

In 1964, Clyde L. Carnahan of Jamestown, 79, owner of the Carnahan-Shearer Co., a retail clothing firm, and prominent in church and civic affairs, died this day at WCA Hospital where he had been a patient for two weeks. His death came on the threshold of the store’s move from the Fenton Building at Main and Second Street, to the former Enterprise Store on West Third Street, near Cherry Street. Since he came to Jamestown in 1924 to open the Carnahan-Shearer Store in Jamestown, Carnahan had taken a noteworthy interest in the community’s public affairs and particularly in activities of the First Presbyterian Church, the Jamestown Area Community Chest and the Boy Scouts. He was also president of the former Empire Worsted Mills from 1932 until it was sold in 1948.

Chautauqua County Assemblyman A. Bruce Manley was back in Albany with high hopes that work might be resumed this year on the State Park at Long Point on Chautauqua Lake. Manley said he had been told that an appropriation of $350,000 for work at the park was included in the 1964 state budget. The funds would be used to provide roads and parking areas for the recreation area near Bemus Point. Manley also pledged his backing to efforts to get construction started soon on the Southern Tier Expressway.

In 1989, coming down quickly was the old Lakewood Motor Inn on Route 394 in Lakewood. The demolition contractor had been busy over the week bulldozing the structures that once made up the complex, loading the debris into trucks and hauling it away. No plans had been announced for the site once it was cleared.

A showdown on the future of the Unigard Building in Jamestown as the consolidated home of Chautauqua County offices in the south county was expected when the County Legislature would meet on Wednesday night. Members of the legislature’s Finance Committee voted to send to the legislature, without a recommendation, a lengthy amended bond and capital note resolution. It called for increasing the appropriation for the building by $1.7 million from the original $2.4 million earlier approved in connection with the structure. The additional amount would be used primarily for interior renovations at the Fourth Street building. The principal critic of the project was Joseph Trusso Jr., D-Jamestown, who long had viewed it as an albatross hung around the county’s neck.