In Years Past

  • In 1913, the dead body of a man later identified as George Newton of Silver Creek, was found beside the D.A.V.& P. tracks, 1,000 feet south of the depot at Moons Station. Coroner Blood had been notified and would come in the afternoon to make an investigation. The body was found by track foreman Thomas Babbitt. The discovery was made by seeing the feet of the man, encased in a pair of rubber boots, sticking out through the ice which covered the drainage ditch beside the track at the point where the body was found. The unusual appearance of the boots sticking up out of the ice led to investigation, ending in finding the body under the ice, water and slush which filled the ditch.
  • Fire broke out in the second hand store at 31 Forest Ave., Jamestown, shortly after 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Only a quick run on the part of the fire department saved the building in which the store was located from serious damage. The fire was confined to the one store which was owned by F.L. French. The loss on the stock and furnishings of this store would be heavy as the fire, while quickly extinguished, was very hot. The fire probably originated in or near a stove. French came to the store about 5:30 and lighted the lights and the stove and left. While eating breakfast he heard a fire truck go by his house, which was located nearby. Hurrying out he discovered that his store was afire.
  • In 1938, a high school student who was seized with the urge to take a joyride in his father’s automobile at 5 a.m. in the morning, ended up in City Court to find himself assessed a $15 fine on charges of speeding and driving without a license. The youth, 16, took his father’s car out of the garage without the latter’s consent, according to police and proceeded to “burn up the pavement” in the southwest section of Jamestown. He came to grief when he skidded and struck a tree in Baker Street near Sprague Street. Police could offer no explanation as to why the boy was seized with the speed mania so early in the day.
  • An explosion in a compressor at the plant of the Lundell-Eckberg Manufacturing Company in Market Street, Jamestown, created more excitement than it caused damage. No one was injured, due to fortunate circumstances but it was feared that someone might have been hurt, so the police ambulance was called to the scene along with the fire apparatus. The Lundell-Eckberg plant was adjacent to the Witkop-Holmes warehouse which was badly damaged by fire on Thursday. The compressor was located beneath the stairway which workmen used to go to the basement. Just a few minutes before the explosion, a group of about 25 workmen had ascended the stairs to the time clock in the corridor above and had rung out for the day.
  • In 1963, State Police and the Coast Guard pressed their search this day for a small twin-engine plane which might have crashed into Lake Erie near Dunkirk. The Cleveland-bound plane had taken off from Buffalo the previous evening. Radio contact was lost about half an hour later, after the pilot radioed the tower that the carburetors of the plane were icing. State Police identified the pilot as Thomas Dickinson. Dickinson, a licensed pilot, was the manager of Remmert-Werner, Inc., a private company based at Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland. An airplane answering the description of the missing craft was seen flying low at about 7:30 p.m. over the Shorewood Country Club which faced Lake Erie in Dunkirk.
  • The House had left it up to the Senate to break a congressional deadlock threatening to halt work on the Allegany River Dam and Reservoir in New York and Pennsylvania. The lower chamber approved 329-41, a compromise bill that included authority to spend an additional $150 million in the Ohio River basin through June 30, 1965. The dam at Kinzua was part of that basin. But the House rejected a move to authorize construction of the Knowles Dam and Reservoir in Montana – the last stumbling block to approval of the entire river basins bill.