In Years Past

In 1913, Ernest Frahm, the young farmer whose arrest and detention for refusing to answer questions in the grand jury room was the sensation of the John Doe investigation before the grand jury at Little Valley, did not succeed in obtaining his release, although his attorney, Henry P. Nevin of Salamanca, made a strenuous effort to have him purged of contempt of court and released from jail. Justice Bissell sentenced him to 10 days in the county jail for contempt of court. Attorney Nevin stated that he had been consulted by Frahm as to his rights. He had advised Frahm that he was not obliged to answer any questions that would tend to incriminate him. Frahm had misunderstood the advice and refused to answer any questions whatever.

“Noodles” Fagan, the Lyric Theater and The Journal had united in a novel plan to entertain the men, women and children of Jamestown. Ever since the first announcement was made of this day’s entertainment, throngs of excited children had swept through the doors of the Journal office to get the free tickets for the afternoon’s performance. In the entertainment itself there would be something doing every minute. A travel festival would be shown on the moving pictures and numerous other up-to-date features which would interest and entertain. The previous afternoon at 4 p.m. “Noodles” Fagan, king of the newsboys, appeared in the Journal alley to talk to the newsies of Jamestown. He was greeted riotously by Young America.

In 1938, Major Gunnar V. Lundsten, 43, in command of the Swedish Salvation Army, was in the Jamestown General Hospital with a possible fracture of the skull, one of three persons admitted with injuries resulting from falls on slippery sidewalks. The condition of Lundsten, who fell at the corner of Main and Second streets in Jamestown on Friday night, was reported as fairly good on this afternoon. Ernest Frankson, 55, of 316 Stowe Street, received injuries when he fell at Buffalo and Thayer streets this morning. He was also in General Hospital. Samuel Pellegrino. 8, of Foote Avenue, fractured his left arm in falling on the walk on his way home from school. After receiving treatment in Jamestown General Hospital, the boy was discharged.

Rumors that the New York Central Railroad Company contemplated abandonment of its Valley branch, the former Dunkirk, Allegany Valley & Pittsburgh, running between Dunkirk and Titusville, Pa., were denied after a group of its officials completed a round trip aboard a special train. The spokesman for the group said it was purely an inspection tour and that reports of the discontinuance of the division were wholly without foundation. From time to time a report has persisted that a move was in the offing to abandon all service on the Valley branch between Fredonia and Warren, Pa.

In 1963, a 17-year-old deer hunter’s ordeal in sub-freezing temperature after he broke his back in a 25-foot fall was discovered by his grandfather, E.W. Brandt, who headed an all-night searching party for the youth. The victim, Larry Scheidemantle, of Harmony, Pa., near Pittsburgh, was in fair condition in Warren General Hospital. He had possible fractures of both legs. Scheidemantle was hunting deer with his grandfather and they became separated. His grandfather found him in a semi-conscious condition at 11 a.m. the previous day and it was at 3:10 p.m. that the youth was finally brought out of the snow covered woods. he accident happened when Scheidemantle was standing on “Point Rock,” a rock on the side of a hill in the Cherry Grove area. The youth slipped and fell, landing on his back.

Four high school students were apprehended in connection with the beating of a Jamestown motorist whose wallet, containing $35, turned up missing after the fight. Ellicott Town Officer Elmer Widlund said the motorist, Francis Blood, 21, of Prendergast Ave., declined to prosecute because he knew the four youths. Three were said to attend Southwestern Central High School and the fourth attended Jamestown High School. Their names were being withheld because of their ages. The attack occurred near the S. & H. Green Stamp Redemption Center on Fairmount Ave., as Blood was returning from work at McDonald’s drive-in. He said a snowball was thrown at his windshield and when he got out he was attacked.