In Years Past

In 1913, the Gustavus Adolphus orphanage was the scene of an usually interesting wedding Wednesday evening. John Oscar Peterson and Lillian Louise Martin, both of whom had been brought up from childhood in the institution, being united in marriage by Rev. Dr. Julius Lincoln, pastor of the First Lutheran Church. They were attended by Harry Nyquist and Signe Swensson. The ceremony at 8 p.m. was performed in the parlor before the fireplace, which was banked with ferns, white and yellow chrysanthemums and potted plants. Following the ceremony, a wedding supper was served in the large dining room of the orphanage.

Fire of mysterious origin did damage estimated at from $500-600, to the first-grade room of School No. 1, on East Fourth Street in Dunkirk during the noon hour the previous day. The flames were confined to the one room but the interior was gutted and practically all of the desks, blackboards and the other fixtures in the room destroyed. The blaze was discovered at 12:25 p.m., when a passerby noticed smoke and fire coming from the windows. This room was located on the first floor of the building. School authorities were at a loss to discover how the fire started. Miss Monchow, who had charge of the room, stated that when she left a few minutes before 12 p.m. there was no sign of fire. The portion of the floor beside the teacher’s desk near where the waste paper basket stood was the most severely burned so that it was supposed the fire started there. Some of the pupils may have been responsible for this.

In 1938, the hunting season had opened in Clymer and hunt suppers were part of the social events of this week. The Bull Moose Hunt Club held its 26th annual hunt Tuesday and met for the usual oyster supper in the evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Orrin Schurman. A large amount of game, consisting mainly of squirrels, was brought in. The Bachelors Hunt Club organized for its first hunt this season. They held the hunt on Tuesday and gathered for supper in the evening with Merle Wassink. Each bachelor brought an “Old Maid.” The Chipmunk Hunt Club held its annual hunt on Monday. They, with their families, gathered for supper in the evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Ten Haken.

Looking forward to its fourth straight win, the Liberty football team would tackle the strong Mayville eleven in Allen Park in Jamestown on Sunday at 10:30 a.m.The county seat team had been reinforced by signing several gridiron veterans including Bub Cameron, All-Jamestown star halfback of two years previously and Al Laviechie, former Alfred University backfield ace. Manager Carmen of the Liberties predicted his charges had a hard task ahead to again beat Mayville, which four weeks ago bowed to the Jamestown team, 13-0.

In 1963, the estates of two persons who died in December 1959, after their car skidded and crashed on Route 60 north of Jamestown had been awarded more than $65,000 by the State Court of Claims. First Lt. Margaret O’Neil, 31, of Fairfield, Calif., was killed and William J. Banach, 37, of Williamsville, N.Y., died of injuries. The accident occurred Dec. 14, 1959, near Moon Road. Seven other persons were injured when the car driven by Banach struck two other vehicles. The State of New York was charged by attorneys for the estates of the two victims with negligence for failure to correct an icy condition, caused by water seepage on Route 60, despite previous complaints. The Banach vehicle was proceeding north when it struck an icy spot and slid across the state highway.

Decision of the Jamestown Board of Education to launch a building program for expansion of Jamestown High School to meet its expanding student population was made at a meeting of the school board. Dr. Harold L. O’Neal, school superintendent, informed the board that following an inspection of the high school property earlier the previous day, Richmond Young, of the New York State Education Department’s Building and Grounds Division, had given a clearance for the construction of an addition. As a result of an increase of 250 students this fall, the high school was forced to resort to a number of expedients to accommodate its record enrollment of nearly 1,900 students.