In Years Past

In 1913, while truckmen wheeled boxes and packages out of the executive mansion, ex-Gov. William Sulzer and his political advisors sat around and discussed the project of his running for assemblyman. They assured him that there was no doubt of his election but for some reason the former governor refused positively to make the race. He pleaded for time in the matter and finally agreed to remain in Albany until the following morning. He might make a decision this night. In the meantime, he would consult with his wife regarding the proposition. She said this day that she had not been consulted on the matter and did not care to discuss her views on it. His friends said she would agree to his making the race as she was anxious to see him restored to power. Also, his followers maintained that election to the assembly would be a stepping stone to the return to the governorship of their leader. Local followers of Sulzer were planning to invade the Sixth district and aid him with speeches and money if he ran for the assembly.

A grade crossing fatality occurred at Randolph at about 11 a.m. Sunday, causing the instant death of Mrs. George Rogers, an aged resident of this village. Rogers was struck by an Erie engine at the Center Street crossing while on her way to church. Rogers had left home for church a few minutes ahead of the rest of the family. She was walking slowly and had crossed the tracks to the last track, apparently not seeing the approaching train. The engine struck her squarely and she was thrown 8 feet into the ditch beside the track. Rogers was a well-known resident of Randolph. Besides her aged husband, she was survived by four daughters. One sister also survived and five grandchildren.

In 1938, District Attorney David L. Brunstrom, Sheriff Roy L. Chadwick and Deputy Sheriff Roy Casselman left the previous night for San Antonio, Texas with high hopes of bringing back to Chautauqua County two alleged swindlers who had been sought here for more than a year. The alleged swindlers, one “the Rev. Dr.” Schaerwood and a Roy Castle, were arrested at San Antonio the past week. Unable to post $15,000 bail each, the two men had been seeking release on a habeas corpus writ. The men were accused of swindling Mrs. Sarah Furey, 82-year-old widow of Irving, out of more than $7,000. Brunstrom took steps to insure detention of the two men as soon as he was informed of their arrest.

The Jamestown Choral Society was at the crossroads as far as continued existence was concerned, and the executive committee, of which H. Ray Dickinson was president and A. Leonard Chindgren, acting secretary, had issued a call for an open meeting at the Nordic temple for Monday evening, Oct. 24. At this meeting the matter of doubling the membership which was considered necessary if the organization was to go on, would be considered in the light of a tribute to the memory of Samuel Thorstenberg who gave many devoted years to the society. The Jamestown Choral Society was organized on March 2, 1910, and had a continued existence of nearly 29 years. For a quarter of a century this was the only civic body in Jamestown regularly giving oratorios and concerts. Most concerts of this period were given to the public without any admission charge.

In 1988, creation of about 470 new jobs in Chautauqua County had been projected as the result of two projects announced at a meeting of the county’s Industrial Development Agency. Sterling Rubber of Canada planned to invest $6.1 million in equipment and to lease buildings in Fredonia and Jamestown, employing 160 people at each location in the manufacture of surgical gloves as its only product. Cliffstar Corp. of Dunkirk was planning a three-phase $4.5 million expansion, seen as adding about another 150 jobs by the time the project would be completed in 1991.

Presentation of a foot-high bronze statue of William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, was made to Jennie Vimmerstedt, longtime member of the advisory board of the Jamestown Salvation Army, at a recent service of the group. The award for community service was the first of its kind to be given locally. Tributes were paid to Vimmerstedt by Gen. Arnold Brown, former international leader of the Salvation Army, Joseph Pritchard, Brigadier Lennart Carlson and Fred Johanson. Vimmerstedt was surprised by the award and the appearance of her sister, Helen, accompanied by 16 family members. She spoke through tears of the privilege she felt in being involved in the work of the Salvation Army.