In Years Past

In 1913, no report had yet been received from the State Veterinary college at Ithaca relative to the head of the dog sent there for microscopic examination the past Saturday in connection with the biting of the Peterson child. The absence of a report was of itself an assured indication that the dog was not afflicted with rabies. There was no further reason for apprehension in this case in the opinion of the attending physician. No new cases had developed in Jamestown this week.

Five years ago an organization started in Jamestown known as the Visiting Nurse Association. It seemed very citified then and some strange kinds of persons predicted that it was a foolish fad which would die young and leave no mourners. They were wrong; that infant organization had grown sturdier and stronger with each year, until two nurses were kept constantly busy at a work which certainly, for real practical benefit, could not be beaten. It was undenominational. All churches favored it and charitable persons from every church were identified with the undertaking.

In 1938, Fred Christenson, 34, of Forest Avenue, Jamestown, was found in the alley behind the New York store at First and Main streets at 7:10 p.m. the previous night, unconscious from loss of blood resulting from a deep cut in the upper part of his left leg, allegedly suffered when he kicked in a window in the rear of the Arcade building to ransack the interior. The man was slowly bleeding to death when discovered. His condition, when described by hospital authorities was “fairly good.” Following a blood trail, police reached the broken window, which had apparently been kicked in. Entering the room formerly used as an office by Paul W. Blystone, police found blood everywhere. It also appeared that the drawers of a desk in the place had been thoroughly ransacked.

Fire about 9:30 p.m. the previous evening destroyed Emerson Derby’s steam-operated saw mill located on the Charlotte Center-Ellington Road about a mile from the center of the village of Charlotte Center. It was the third destructive fire in the community in the past month. Others were the destruction of the A. J. Norman poultry house, struck by lightning and the burning of Clifford Smith’s store. Derby and his son had been at the mill only a short time when Derby noticed a peculiar flickering of the lights and going outside, saw flames in the mill. He immediately called the Sinclairville Fire Department. The fire appeared to have started in a pile of cherry squares which were to have been used for furniture purposes.

In 1963, Jamestown was the only community in the eight-county Western New York area that could provide fallout shelters for more than its peak population, Mayor William D. Whitehead reported. Whitehead said Jamestown’s peak population was about 47,000 and was a result of workers entering the city during the day. Jamestown, he said, had enough buildings, already surveyed and approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, to house the complete peak population. Currently, he said the buildings were being placed in a state of readiness. Some provisions – water cans, special foods, medical supplies, etc., had already arrived in Jamestown.

Somewhat humid weather gave embattled firefighters a respite in their struggle to preserve New York state’s tinder-box woodlands but conservation officials feared new outbreaks over the weekend. The State Conservation Department teetered on the brink of a decision to order the state’s forests closed, as fire-plagued Vermont and New Hampshire had done earlier in the week. The department was reluctant to do so, however. All campers and hunters would have to be tracked down and informed of the order and patrols would have to be set up to prevent new entries. Carelessness in smoking and in extinguishing camp fires was blamed for many of the fires.

In 1988, the first general snowfall of the season was recorded in the area overnight and into the morning, with many early-morning risers surprised to see a mantle of white when they looked out the window. Depths of up to 5 inches were reported. The snow was expected to disappear by the weekend when warm, sunny weather was predicted.

Action taken by the Buffalo office of the state Department of Environmental Conservation assured Chautauqua County use of its landfill for the next few months, County Executive John A. Glenzer reported. He told The Post-Journal, “I just talked yesterday to Peter Buechi, deputy director in Region Nine of the DEC, and he told me our permit to fill in the valley was being typed yesterday, and will be signed today and mailed to us.” Glenzer continued, “This means that for the next four to five months, we have a place to put our garbage.”