Home Explosion

RIPLEY – A natural gas leak is believed to be the cause of a house explosion in Ripley Monday morning. Neighbors felt and heard a large boom when the home located on the corner of Lakeview Avenue and Goodrich Street was destroyed. Nobody was home and there were no injuries, although the family pet was reported to have a few singed hairs.

Fire departments from Ripley, South Ripley, Westfield and Sherman, as well as Crescent and Fuller from North East, Pa., responded to the scene and fought the flames for an hour before subduing them.

Chautauqua County Emergency Services Director Julius Leone was unavailable for comment regarding the explosion. An investigation is still ongoing.