Jarvis Jerome Fargo Resident of Santa Clara

Jarvis Jerome Fargo passed away peacefully on Sept. 4, 2013.

He was born June 30, 1924, on a small farm in Ashville, N.Y., and grew up there. He went to high school in Lakewood, N.Y., and participated in track and basketball and played violin in the orchestra, graduating in 1942.

He received a violin scholarship to St. Bonaventure College in Olean, N.Y., and took artillery ROTC for one semester. This ROTC experience led him to be assigned to the 256th field artillery battalion after being drafted into the Army. His unit was converted to an 8-inch gun heavy artillery battalion and deployed to England. They landed on Utah Beach, Normandy, France, 60 days after D-Day as part of General Patton’s third army but were reassigned to the 9th Army during the drive across France.

His unit provided support for British Field Marshall Montgomery during the 1944 Battle of the Bulge.

His Battalion crossed the Rhine River at Cologne, and drove across Northern Germany to meet the Russian Army at the Elbe River, just West of Berlin.

They arrived at the Elbe in April 1945 and Germany surrendered on May 8, 1945. Until his discharge in January 1946, he served in the army of occupation in Germany.

Mr. Fargo then attended Alfred University extension in Jamestown, N.Y., on the GI Bill and met his wife of 65 years, Gloria Mary Christy Fargo. They married in 1947, and lived in Alfred, N.Y., where son, Jeff was born. In 1950, he graduated with a degree in ceramic engineering and they moved to Corning where daughter, Jennifer was born. He joined Corning Glass Works and worked there 6 years, first in the development of glass electronic components and then technical sales. In 1957, the adventurous decision to go West was made and the family settled in southern California. He worked for Gladding McBean & Co. for seven years developing ceramic electronic components. In 1964, he joined Lockheed Aircraft in Burbank working on the development of high temperature resistant windshields and windows for the supersonic transport.

While there he worked as a specialist in transparent materials used in the L-1011, P-3, S-3A and F-20 aircraft. He retired in 1988, and he and Gloria moved to The Villages in San Jose, enjoying golf and many good friends. Long-time members of the local Lutheran churches in the communities where they lived, both volunteered many hours on various church committees.

He cared deeply about his family and was especially proud of his grandchildren. He was greatly loved and we will miss him. He is survived by son, Jeff and wife, Heidi Fargo; daughter, Jennifer and husband, John Lathrop; and grandchildren: Brooke and David Fargo and Laurel and Ellen Lathrop.