In Years Past

In 1913, the regular meeting of the Jamestown board of health was held in City Hall Friday evening. The report of the health officer, Dr. John J. Mahoney, was submitted, showing three cases of typhoid fever. One case was located on English Street, one on Flagg Avenue and one on West Eighth Street. The first named case probably developed at Chautauqua. The two other cases were being treated at Jones General Hospital. A case of infantile paralysis was reported at Clyde Avenue and a case of erysipelas at Front Street. Four cases of whooping cough and three of pulmonary tuberculosis were reported since the previous meeting of the board.

Charged with violating a federal statute which provided a railroad employee could not work longer than 16 consecutive hours, officials of the Erie Railroad had to appear before Federal Judge John R. Hazel. Papers had been filed in the district court at Buffalo by John Lord O’Brien, United States District Attorney. It was set forth in the complaint that trains were operated by crews that worked longer than 16 consecutive hours. The first complaint stated that on Feb. 1 a train was run from Meadville, Pa., to Randolph, N.Y. and that the engineer, fireman, conductor and two brakemen worked longer than the hours specified.

In 1938, Jamestown Chief of Police Edwin M. Nyholm issued a statement to the public declaring that his department could do nothing to suppress the activities of a pair of religious fanatics from out of the area, who had been going from home to home in many areas of the city playing phonograph records containing bitter attacks on various religious groups. Many complaints against the couple had been received at police headquarters but in each instance the complainers had admitted that the two fanatics were invited to enter the homes. “As long as they secure permission to enter the homes and as long as they do not create a public disturbance on the streets, there is nothing the police can do,” said Nyholm.

Lowell S. Green, 74, of West Third Street, an employee of the Citizens Bakery Company, was assaulted and robbed of $75 by two strangers as he walked down West Second Street towards his place of employment at about 1:45 a.m. In his report to police, Green said he left his room at about 1:30 a.m. and went to a West Third Street restaurant for a cup of coffee. He noticed two strangers sitting next to him. He said that they probably noticed he was carrying a substantial sum of money when he took out his wallet to pay his bill. The two men left the restaurant before Green. While walking, he noticed the men. One of them grabbed him and the other struck him on the chin so hard he tumbled to the sidewalk. They took his wallet and fled.

In 1963, Blackstone Ultrasonics Inc., which was incorporated early in the year, announced it would hold an open house on Saturday, Sept. 28, from 2-5 p.m. to commemorate the opening of its new plant in Sheffield, Pa. The public was cordially invited to attend the event which was announced by Reginald A. Lenna, president. There would be souvenirs and refreshments for everyone, including balloons for the children. Blackstone Ultrasonics, Inc., was a wholly owned subsidiary of Blackstone Corporation, Jamestown. The company’s Home Laundry Division was the nation’s oldest manufacturer of washing machines.

President Kennedy’s black bubble-top limousine was spattered the previous night by a paint bomb thrown from a passing station wagon loaded with teenagers in New York City. Police called it the work of prankish kids. Chief of Detectives Lawrence J. McKearney said the teenagers apparently did not know it was Kennedy’s car. A plastic egg, containing thick white paint, splattered the hood of the President’s auto. The license number of the station wagon was not obtained.

In 1988, work was progressing on the removal of Jamestown’s Sixth Street Bridge and the western end of the structure seems to be suspended in mid-air on this morning. Crew members began cutting the bridge in the middle and were gradually working their way back toward the bearings on each end. The bridge was being replaced by the Herbert Darling Co. of Buffalo.

Large classes in Jamestown High School had teachers up in arms and administrators defending their positions. A dozen teachers came to Monday night’s school board meeting to complain about overcrowding and lack of supplies in the classroom. They blamed most of the problems on the reorganization of schools which took place the past spring. Gary Peters, Jamestown Teacher Association president leveled the most serious charge at the high school, which was unaffected by that reorganization. “Students are being assigned study halls rather than English or social studies classes they need for Regents diplomas,” Peters said.