In Years Past

  • In 1913, the stage had been set for one of the most memorable trials in the history of the country and there remained but the appearance of the actors to furnish a drama which would draw the attention of the civilized world during its performance. For a fortnight, a small army of workmen had been at work in the Senate chamber at the state capital at Albany, where the members of that body, together with the judges of the court of appeals, would take their places upon improvised platforms to listen to the evidence upon which William Sulzer, the 42nd governor, was impeached on Aug. 12 of the present year and upon which the members of the legislature believed he would be convicted and thus automatically removed from his high office and disqualified from holding public office again.
  • After being beaten and stabbed into unconsciousness by three Indians, Newman Redeye of Coldspring, also an Indian, was placed upon the Erie tracks, near the Red House station Saturday night but regained consciousness before the arrival of a train. Coroner O. S. Martin was notified that a murder had been committed and he and Dr. F.C. Beals went to Red House. The latter dressed Redeye’s wounds. He would live. Redeye talked in the Seneca tongue to other Indians but they would not tell the names of those who had injured him. They said that they would wait the outcome of his wounds and then settle it themselves.
  • In 1938, reflecting conditions abroad and sentiment at home, the Erie conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church in annual session at Grace M.E. Church in Oil City, Pa., yesterday adopted resolutions placing the conference on record as favoring a consumers’ boycott of German, Italian and Japanese goods and advocating the purchase of goods from Czechoslovakia.
  • Mrs. Jasper M. Rowland, chairman of the woman’s group of the Chautauqua Lake Yacht Club announced the committees to serve during the fall and winter. The clubhouse at Lakewood was to be kept open as long as the weather permitted and luncheon meetings would be held every few weeks, the next to take place on Wednesday, Sept. 28. It was hoped that members would meet during the winter for luncheon at the different homes of the members. An elaborate masquerade ball was being planned for Halloween.
  • In 1963, William D. Whitehead’s bid as an independent candidate for mayor of Jamestown hit a snag when the County Board of Elections Commissioners reported he had failed to submit a party emblem. The petitions, an election board spokesman said, could not be formally filed – making the mayor an independent candidate in the Nov. 5 elections – until an emblem had been chosen. A spokesman at the mayor’s office said Mr. Whitehead was on his way to Mayville “to straighten out the matter.”
  • Three persons were injured, two critically, in a one car accident at 7:20 p.m. the previous evening on Route 74, just east of Panama. In critical condition in Jamestown General Hospital were Mrs. Dorothy J. Kane, 54, of Elmira, driver of the car, and her husband, Robert E. Kane, 53. Their daughter, Miss Kathleen C. Kane, 22, was in fair condition. Both Mr. and Mrs. Kane suffered severe shock and loss of blood. Mr. Kane required a blood transfusion. The car was reported as traveling toward Jamestown when it failed to negotiate a curve. It went off the right side of the road, mowed down two utility pole guy wires, skidded on some gravel and struck a sluiceway. The Kanes were en route home from a midwestern city where they had taken their son to college.
  • In 1988, the fall semester began the past week at Jamestown Business College. Dean Donna Simmons welcomed the largest freshman class in the college’s history. Most students were pursuing a two-year associate’s degree program. Both the administrative assistant secretarial and business administration marketing programs had shown an increased enrollment, according to Ms. Simmons. The college’s job placement program continued its success with both full-time and part-time placement. More than 200 employers telephoned the college with job openings in 1988, Ms. Simmons reported.
  • Blackstone Corp. in Jamestown announced that it had landed a $7 million contract with the Ford Motor Co. to provide the intercooler radiator for the 1989 Super Coupe Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar XR7. The work was to continue through at least 1991. The components would be made in Blackstone’s Jamestown and Stratford, Ontario facilities and would be shipped to various Ford plants. Ford Motor Co. gave Blackstone employees a sneak preview of next year’s models of Thunderbird and Cougar which would go on sale Dec. 26.