In Years Past

In 1913, at a recent meeting of the Falconer village board, an urgent request was brought up by Trustee E.A. Wiborg that the people of the south side be supplied with a drinking fountain to be placed on the corner of Harrison and Work streets. No action was taken at the time but Wiborg was given authority to investigate the matter -to find the probable cost and whether the city of Jamestown would be willing to furnish the water free as in the case of the fountain on the corner of Main and Work streets. This investigation having proved satisfactory, a drinking fountain and watering trough would soon be placed at the corner. Both were to be of the most modern type.

At the annual meeting of the Chautauqua Society of Historical and Natural Science at Mayville two days previously, Abner Hazeltine of Jamestown presented an interesting paper on an old French bayonet, which was found by workmen excavating on Jones & Gifford Avenue several years previously. He told of the efforts made by him to trace the origin of the weapon and his conclusion that in all probability it was a relic of the DeCeloron expedition.

In 1938, while many large fish catches had been reported by sportsmen on Chautauqua Lake this summer, the prize went to Jack Cochrane of Shore Acres, who landed one with his bare hands. Cochrane, who did a lot of fishing down in Florida, decided to try his luck the other evening in the full of the moon when the surface of the water was as smooth as glass. He was out in a rowboat when he felt a bump and saw a large muskellunge splashing about listlessly. Cochrane reached into the water and lifted the fish into the boat. The muskie measured 44 inches in length and weighed more than 30 pounds. It appeared to have been stunned. Examining the fish, Cochrane was unable to detect any marks or bruises but was fearful to eat the fish he believed might have been sick.

Jamestown police issued a warning to motorists against violation of “slow” warnings at the school crossing on West Third Street between Andrews and Lakin avenues. The crossing was at Stewart Avenue and was maintained principally for children attending Fairmount Avenue School. Although several “slow” signs had been painted on the pavement and there was a yellow caution light overhead, police said these were ignored by many motorists and they requested better cooperation on the part of all automobile drivers in observance of the regulations at this point.

In 1963, State Assembly Speaker Joseph F. Carlino (R), emphasized his stand against legalizing off-track betting during an informal huddle with Assemblyman A. Bruce Manley of Fredonia. Carlino spoke the previous night at a dinner in the Hotel Jamestown, winding up a three-day convention of the New York State Highway Superintendents Association in Jamestown.

Automobiles scheduled for inspection during the balance of 1963 were 1956-59 models, Donald C. Carlson, deputy county clerk in charge of motor vehicles, reported. The monthly schedule was: September, 1956 models; October, 1957 models; November, 1958 models and December, 1959 models. In February 1964 all 1950 models and earlier would require inspection. By December 1964, all 1960 models would require inspection, keeping the progression, which exempted cars three years and newer.

In 1988, Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Department deputies spent most of Monday in the Mosher Hollow area of the town of New Albion tracking an inmate who escaped from the Cattaraugus County Jail and they were continuing the search this day. Patrick Henry Prial, 43, formerly of West Valley, an inmate at the jail since December, turned up missing about 9:40 p.m. Saturday when jail officers began putting trusties (inmates with special privileges) back into their cells. A further check and subsequent investigation determined Prial used a kitchen knife to loosen screws from a door off the jail kitchen where he helped out as a trustie.

Normal operations were reported at Chase Interiors Division of H.S.B.A. Industries on West Lister Avenue in Falconer this morning in the wake of a smoky blaze in a top floor air compressor early the previous evening. Falconer Fire Chief Anthony “Skip” Avallaro told The Post-Journal that the alarm was received at 6:34 p.m. through a street box alarm turned in by a nearby resident who saw smoke coming from the furniture plant. The chief said it was Monday meeting night and some of the department’s members were at the fire hall when the alarm came in. He said this permitted a very quick response, with trucks en route to the scene within a minute.