In Years Past

In 1913, the Lyric Theater would be opened Monday, Labor Day, under the management of Edward T. Connelly and performances would be given daily except Sunday. An unusually strong bill had been secured for the opening week, the headliner being The Candy Store Girls, with a cast of seven persons. This act was one continuous flow of music and fun and never failed to score a tremendous hit wherever it was presented.

A bad burning accident, saved from being a fatality only by the presence of mind of Myrtle James of Sampson Street, Jamestown, occurred Friday night when Emma Munson, also of Sampson Street, caught the arm of her dress on fire by reaching over the flame of a gas stove. Munson was getting supper when the accident occurred and almost instantly the light material of her dress sleeve and the upper part of her clothing were all on fire. She screamed and rushed out of doors to the home of James next door, every step fanning the flames. James forced her down to the ground and beat out the fire and ended the conflagration by dashing a pail of water over the remains of Munson’s dress. The ambulance took Munson to Jones General Hospital where she was resting comfortably.

In 1938, Britain’s ambassador to Germany left by plane for Berlin this day armed with what informed persons said was authority to warn Germany anew in vigorous terms that Britain might not be able to remain neutral if war came in Central Europe. The envoy, Sir Nevile Henderson, looked grave as he boarded his plane. Henderson was expected to arrive in Berlin shortly after 6 p.m. to see Foreign Minister Joschim von Ribbentrop soon thereafter. He was bringing a personal message for Reichsfuehrer Hitler from Prime Minister Chamberlain.

Fire of unknown origin broke out with startling suddenness at the old Charles S. Abbot summer residence on the lakefront at Driftwood last midnight and completely destroyed the structure. Fire Chief C.A. Sondell of the Fluvanna Fire Department said that he was going to request state police to investigate the blaze although the chief himself doubted there was anything unusual about it. Several alarms were turned in for both the Fluvanna and Bemus Point Fire departments within a minute or two after the fire became visible. Formerly regarded as one of the most beautiful places along either of Chautauqua Lake’s shores, the estate was once the scene of many attractive parties. It was also, more recently, known to have harbored an illicit still for a period of time.

In 1963, the historic “hot line” between Washington and Moscow was open for business – business that officials hoped would never come. A tinkle of a bell in the White House or Kremlin – at either end of the emergency communications system – might signal the next world crisis. but it might also keep nervous fingers from pressing the buttons that would launch nuclear war. Completion of the circuits, made possible by a U.S.-Soviet agreement to create machinery for forestalling war, was announced Friday night by the Pentagon.

Lucille Ball, Jamestown’s star of screen and television, was writing the story of her life with the assistance of Betty Hannah Hoffmann of Newtown, Pa., author of several books. Hoffman had been in Jamestown this week with permission of Lucille Ball to collect stories and anecdotes especially of her early years here. The book would also be published in condensed form in one of the well-known magazines.

In 1988, area women had broken tradition lines and joined all-male clubs following a Supreme Court ruling passed in 1987. And, they were getting along nicely, thank you. Since the ruling, male clubs had opened their doors to women and women’s clubs had done the same, but not without some reservations. “Some members didn’t want to (accept women into the club) but after the controversy died down, it really hasn’t made a difference,” Dr. Charles Hannum, president of the Fredonia Rotary Club, said. “I felt a little awkward at first because I was aware that some people weren’t ready for the change,” said Nancy Brumfield, one of the first women invited into the Fredonia Rotary Club in November 1987. But she said that she soon felt comfortable.

The forest fire that had charred thousands of acres of Yellowstone National Park was much larger than anything firefighters in New York state would expect to contend with. But a crew of firefighters who returned to New York on Tuesday said their stint in the national park was invaluable experience for fighting smaller fires closer to home. “You learn more in two weeks out there than you would in several years here about fires,” Douglas Riedman, a forest ranger from Old Forge, said upon arriving at the Albany County Airport. Eighteen men from across the state spent two weeks helping to contain a fire in the northwest corner of the oldest national park.