In Years Past

In 1913, H.A. Barrows, who was employed by Jamestown Police Chief Frank A. Johnson, acting under instructions of the common council, to investigate the situation with reference to what was being done by manufacturers to comply with the smoke ordinance, had completed his labors and the result in the shape of a voluminous array of notes would be placed in the hands of the city stenographer for tabulation, after which the report would be turned over to the chief of police. It was, of course, impossible to quote the report in detail for the reason that it was not as yet in shape for presentation to the chief. In general it could be said that Barrows had learned there was a general disposition on the part of the manufactures to comply with the law.

The conflict between William Sulzer and Martin H. Glynn over the governorship of New York continued this day. The clash of authority was expected late in the afternoon at a meeting of a Board of Trustees of Public Buildings. The trustees included the governor, lieutenant governor and speaker of the assembly. The board which had authority to designate the quarters for state officers of departments, was said to have decided to appoint the assembly parlor on the third floor of the Capitol as the temporary office of the executive in view of Governor Sulzer’s refusal to vacate the executive suite on the second floor.

In 1938, tragic illness, which had become almost national in interest because of the suddenness of its appearance and its mysterious character, had recently brought into news the family of Mr. and Mrs. Llewellyn Bennett of Owosso, Michigan, former Sugar Grove and Chautauqua County residents. Out of the family of six children, four had died with the disease while one, the oldest, Richard, nine, was seriously ill as was his mother, in a Michigan hospital. Physicians were unable to place the disease although they knew it belonged in the typhoid group. The water which the Bennett family used, came from a pond fed by a spring which was close to an outhouse and which might also have received drainage from pasture lands.

Falling from a flat car of a local eastbound Erie Railroad freight train at Cambridge Springs, Pa., John S. Madden, Sr. 55, veteran conductor and former Jamestown resident, died of internal injuries several hours later in a Meadville, Pa., hospital. Mr. Madden, a native of Watts Flats who began his railroad career at the turn of the century, received the fatal injuries while his train, bound from Meadville to Salamanca, was switching in the Cambridge Springs yards. Formerly a passenger conductor, Mr. Madden, who had worked for the Erie for 37 years, had only recently been transferred to a freight crew, assuming his new duties about a week previously.

In 1988, the summer’s moderate drought continued to drain the water supplies of area communities. The village of Fredonia was the latest victim. Mayor Louis C. Mancuso banned unnecessary water use in the village as of midnight the previous night. “It’s an indefinite ban. We are experiencing a shrinking reserve at our reservoir and to conserve what we have we have decided on the ban,” Mancuso told The Post-Journal.

A sculpture of a nude woman recently caused a stir when it was placed on display as part of the Sculpture in Downtown Jamestown exhibit. The artwork by Steven Kemenyffy of McKean, Pa., was a “Picasso-esque nude,” according to Patrice Young Turner, associate director of the Arts Council for Chautauqua County. The Arts Council and the mayor received several calls complaining about the statue. “Personally, I do not feel it was offensive, but that’s a matter of personal taste,” Ms. Turner said. She noted that after the statue was replaced, she began receiving phone calls asking “why the pretty statue was removed.”