In Years Past

In 1913, F.D. Evans, assistant to Receiver Bullock of the Jamestown, Chautauqua and Lake Erie Railroad, who had been spending several days in Jamestown on business for this road, announced that trackage arrangements had been completed in which the J.C.&L.E. passenger trains would now run into the Erie station. The passenger and ticket office would be moved to the Erie station and beginning the following day, unless some unforeseen obstacle was presented, the new arrangement would become effective. This meant that the little railroad would get an entrance to the heart of the city and all passenger trains would arrive and leave the Erie station.

Her main sail set square to the fresh breeze from the south, her tiller swinging with the roll of Lake Erie and none aboard to trim sail or steer the rudder, the “Ripple,” a 20-foot sloop-rigged racing yacht was picked up on Lake Erie 16 miles northeast of Cleveland by fishermen. The “Ripple” was an unknown craft in the port of Cleveland. Her name plate bore the stamp of the Weir Boat Company, Hamilton, Ontario. An old sweater a water-soaked bag of provisions and a couple of empty bottles were all that was found aboard, offering no clue to the owners or late crew. Neatly coiled ropes and anchor secure in the bow showed the “Ripple” did not break from moorings. The number 12 painted on the peak of the mainsail led to the belief the “Ripple” was one of the yachts entered in the Put-In-Bay Regatta but no craft was reported missing from there.

In 1938, a 15-year-old was arrested by local police at his home on Hamilton Street in Jamestown the previous night and readily admitted the fiendish hammer attack on a 5-year-old girl which occurred in an abandoned house at Hamilton Street and Fairmount Avenue at about 11 o’clock the previous morning. The youth, allegedly a mental defective, repeated his admission of the hammer attack when brought before Judge Lee L. Ottaway at special session of children’s court. Judge Ottaway decided that effort should be made to have the young man committed to the State Training School for Mental Defectives at Syracuse. Though the boy readily admitted his attack on the girl he was unable to ascribe any motive for his insane act. He did not appear to be unusually affected by his arrest and apparently had taken no precautions to avoid it.

The previous day’s rainstorm, followed by showers this day and added to the terrific storm of Friday night and the downpour on Tuesday had boosted the July total of rainfall to date to 7.78 inches as compared with the normal rainfall of 4.56 inches for the period. The storm which occurred shortly after 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon did not last long enough to bring the quantity of rain which fell during the Friday night storm but equaled in intensity any downpour the area had seen in a long time, so that within a very few minutes .65 inches of rain fell. Damage resulted from yesterday’s rain because of the fact that the sodden ground was too well filled with water to absorb the new fall. Already swollen streams overran their banks and damaged bordering terrain as well as any structures in their path. The bridge over Moonbrook in the school park northeast of Jamestown was washed out by the rushing torrent.

In 1988, four people who jumped from their boat moments before it was swept over the Horseshoe Falls were rescued from the Niagara River rapids above the cataract early this day, according to police. The four, all residents of Niagara Falls, Ontario, were boating on the Niagara River above the falls when they apparently lost control of their craft in the rapids. The boaters were identified as James Mason, 36; Carmen Dalziel, 25; Dave Shand, 34 and Michelle Harkins, 25. They jumped out of the boat just above the falls near the American side. Police and firefighters called to the scene at 3:30 a.m. found the four clinging to rocks and brush in the water. The rescued boaters were taken to the Niagara Medical Center emergency room where they refused treatment and left.

Business at Jamestown General Hospital continued to decline and employees were continuing to leave for a more secure future. The fate of the debt-ridden hospital was to be decided Aug. 8 when the City Council would vote on two proposals, a buyout of JGH by WCA Hospital, or a Tennessee businessman’s plan to save the hospital and operate it as a nonprofit corporation. Administrator James H. Schaum said workers were leaving because of job security. “It’s been a matter of job security. The question is whether the hospital is going to be here or not.” If there is another opportunity to do something different, they (employees) want to make sure they have a job and are not left out in the cold,” he said. When asked what the hospital was doing to keep employees, Schaum said, “There’s not a whole lot we can do.”