In Years Past

  • In 1913, rumors regarding the probable arrest of persons who knew something about the murder of Emile Amann at Warren were growing daily. The Warren Mirror answered the reflections of the Warren Times with interesting hints of the sensation that was to come. The Buffalo Evening News had also taken the matter up and was giving a daily report of the latest developments at Warren.
  • Driving his flaming car through the doors of his garage and extinguishing the blaze with a powder tube, John Reck of Bradford saved his building and car from destruction after an explosion set the machine on fire. Reck had just filled the tank and started the motor, preparatory to going out, when he lit a match under the hood to examine a wire connection. An explosion resulted and set the car on fire. The doors of the garage were closed but Reck jumped into the machine and drove it through the doors, which were badly splintered at the forcible opening.
  • In 1938, a spectacular explosion early this day spread new havoc in the $15 million Sinclair Oil Company refinery at Wellsville, where three men were killed and 75 injured in a chaos of fire and explosion as firemen finally appeared to be bringing the blaze under control. A storage tank containing 2,500 barrels of naphtha exploded shortly before daybreak with a deafening roar and a cloud-sweeping flash of fire. No one was reported injured but the previous night a similar tank exploded, skyrocketing clear across the nearby Genesee River and killing three spectators on the opposite bank when the metal top of the tank was thrown more than 1,000 feet.
  • Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden voiced a “sincere hope” for peace throughout the world upon his arrival in Minnesota with Princess Louise and Price Bertil to participate in a two-day Swedish Tercentenary celebration. The heir-apparent to the Swedish throne, interviewed shortly after his arrival at St. Paul, said that “the Swedes are essentially a peace-loving nation” as he emphasized that Sweden had not been engaged in war for about 125 years. “We intend to keep out of any kind of conflict that may arise,” the crown prince said. “This is the policy of 100 percent of the Swedish people.”
  • In 1963, vandalism in the village of Lakewood had prompted Police Chief Anthony Caprino to have future Wednesday night dances at the beach tennis courts policed. Vandals ripped the gate at the south end of the beach off its hinges and bent the west end gate. On Chautauqua Avenue, pop bottles were broken in the middle of the street, pop squirted on the windows of the barber shop and broken bottles were strewn in the flower box in front of the shop. Explorer Troop 61 had sponsored dances each Wednesday at the park for several years and this was the first time that any trouble had occurred, according to police.
  • The Ellicott Town Board authorized Town Clerk Arthur Agnes to request the State Traffic Commission for a reduced speed zone for the area from the Lakewood village line to Jackson Avenue on Lakeside Boulevard and continuing along Jackson Avenue to Livingston Avenue in the Village of Celoron. The speed reduction would be a safeguard for children and adults using the bathing beach in the new Burtis Bay Park. At the time, the speed limit in the area was 50 miles per hour.
  • In 1988, extensive storm damage occurred in Chautauqua County as the result of a lightning/wind/rain storm that swept across the area Saturday afternoon. A large tree narrowly avoided striking a camper trailer on Thornton Road in Ellington. Gravestones in the Pioneer Cemetery on the same road were damaged by a falling tree. Hail was also experienced in some parts of the county. For Chautauqua Lake Historic Vessels at Mayville, the storm would cost them time and money after a lightning bolt extensively damaged the main mast and destroyed the top mast on the “Sea Lion,” a replica of a merchant sailing vessel.
  • The City of Jamestown could not pay its health insurance claims because the city’s health fund was out of money, according to Douglas Anderson, city finance director. The fund was empty because “Jamestown General Hospital now owes the city health insurance fund in excess of $201,000,” Anderson told The Post-Journal.