In Years Past

  • In 1913, as workmen were hurrying home in Corry, one of the most hair raising affairs in the city occurred in the neighborhood of East Main Street. Two men were coming up town from the Corry Chair factory when they noticed a man brandishing a stick. They assumed the man to be an ordinary drunk when he lunged for them and it was seen the maniac had a razor in his hand. The crazed man came running around the Arlington Hotel and he rushed in the lunch room entrance, smashing the large glass window with his bare hand and driving the bartenders out of the saloon. One man was pursued and received a nasty cut on the right shoulder when the man made a stab at him. Officer Stevens, with a quick rap on the head laid the madman on the sidewalk. Later the man gave his name as Albert Jackson of Huntington, Ind. No one appeared against him and he was let go after paying a $3 fine.
  • All the animals which were to be used in the big Moose Society circus, which was to be held the following Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights on the grounds formerly occupied by the tabernacle, were safely corralled on the Moose grounds at Celoron. This was in preparation for the parade on the evening of July 17.
  • In 1938, a victim of amnesia, believed to be a resident of Jamestown or vicinity, was being held at the Warren, Pa. hospital, unable to give his name, address or any other information about himself. The hospital authorities communicated with local police stating that the patient had suffered a complete loss of memory. He was described as a man of attractive appearance about 36 years of age, five feet, 10 inches in height and had black hair. In his pockets were found three photographs, one of himself in a rowboat, another of a child about two years of age and one of a girl about eight years of age. The man’s pockets also contained a Yale house key and a ticket to the Palace theater in Jamestown. The theater ticket was what led the Warren hospital officials to believe that the amnesia victim might have resided in Jamestown.
  • The Chautauqua Repertory theater would ring up its curtain this night for the first time in the season on “George and Margaret,” the Cleveland Play House’s record-breaking comedy of the winter season.
  • In 1963, Jamestown had been selected for a two year experimental program aimed at developing a low cost instrument landing system which was expected to focus national attention on the Jamestown Airport. Officials said 395 cities in the nation had been under consideration for the project, which would be carried out by the Research and Development Service of the Federal Aviation Agency, Washington, D.C. at no cost to the city. Jamestown must give its formal approval for federal researchers to set up shop at the airport and install some $80,000 worth of electronic equipment to conduct the tests.

-?Jamestown Mayor William D. Whitehead said he felt that Anton Hanson, city Republican chairman, needed some “enlightenment” about conditions in Jamestown. He went on to offer Mr. Hanson an open invitation to sit down with him and discuss municipal problems at any time. Jamestown’s future, he tartly told Mr. Hanson, “will be built by those who work for it – not those who only promise it.” The mayor and Mr. Hanson, along with Jess J. Present, City Council president, were locked in a three way battle for the republican nomination in the Sept. 5 primaries for mayor.

  • In 1988, Jamestown police and fire departments and the Parks, Recreation and Conservation Commission could be facing stiff layoffs and reduction of services if the Jamestown City Council were to keep Jamestown General Hospital open. City Council would vote to either save or sell JGH on July 25. Parks and Recreation Director Russell E. Diethrick said at a meeting that his department’s summer help would cease July 26 if the city saw fit to drastically limit or control or eliminate overtime for city employees. The fire and police departments could face layoffs as well.
  • Water use was way up in many area villages and the water supply was dropping. Many area communities were using voluntary water restrictions to get through the dry spell that seemed to have a life of its own. “The usage skyrocketed and we are just barely able to keep up with it. We are using about double what we would normally use,” Mayville Village Clerk Charles L. Kelsey said.

The village was still on a voluntary restriction that seemed to be working as residents cooperated. “We’ve had very good cooperation from the residents,” he said.