In Years Past
- In 1913, the annual outing of Jamestown Hive, Ladies of the Maccabees, was held Wednesday, being in the form of a trip to Erie, Pa., to visit the Perry Centennial. The affair was the most largely attended as well as the most successful outing ever held under the auspices of the hive. Thirty ladies made the trip, leaving over the Chautauqua traction line at 7 o’clock in the morning and arriving at their destination about 10:30 o’clock. The day was spent in sightseeing, witnessing the large street parade and enjoying the program of the afternoon, it being Governor’s Day. Although there was a rain storm in the afternoon, this did not mar the day’s pleasure to any extent. When the Jamestown ladies returned home at midnight, all reported a capital time.
- Lloyd Mosher of Jamestown discovered a most novel manner of catching fish while bathing at Celoron the previous afternoon. It was the limit in fish stories, that was, true fish stories. The young man was riding on the toboggan slide and while shooting through the water, struck some obstacle, which threw him off the toboggan. When he came to the top of the water he discovered that the obstacle was a large sized muskellunge, which the toboggan had struck square in the back, stunning it. The young man immediately pounced upon the prize and took it ashore. It weighed 25 pounds. This would be interesting news to fishermen who, day after day, trolled over the lake with the most expensive and approved rigs and never had a strike.
- In 1938, fire damaged the Lakeview Candy Company plant located in the east end of the former Julian Pump Company plant on Lakewood road in West Ellicott about 3:30 a.m. The west end of the same building was occupied by the Fairmount Grill and was not damaged. According to Herbert F. Hern, of Jamestown, owner of the confectionery business, Gordon Altland of Jamestown, candy maker for the company, was engaged in candy making at the time. Just how the fire occurred he was unable to state but said he turned away from the stove for a few moments and on returning found the place in flames. Passing motorists saw the flames and called out the Celoron Fire Department in time to save the building.
- While having his bottle feeding about 4:30 Friday afternoon, William O’Hare, 11-months old son of Attorney and Mrs. John J. O’Hare of Salamanca, who were spending the summer in a cottage at Sherman’s Bay, choked to death. The baby was given his bottle as usual by Miss Mary Koniak of Salamanca, maid in the O’Hare family. The baby began to choke soon afterwards and Dr. Clyde L. Wilson was called but was unable to revive the child. Coroner Samuel T. Bowers was called and after investigation issued a certificate of death due to strangulation.
- In 1963, Chautauqua Lake Vacation Days, gala three day promotion of the Retail Merchants Association of the Jamestown Area Chamber of Commerce, would kick off the following day. The event was planned to call attention to the county and lake area as a vacation spot and would feature a large number of outdoor and indoor displays of camping and marine equipment. Sidewalk selling would be engaged in during the period which also would be highlighted by a wide variety of activities. Streets in the down Jamestown area would echo with the harmony of Sweet Adelines. An open air dance was slated fro 9 p.m. to midnight Friday on the roof of the Main Street Parking Ramp.
- Persons preparing for their driver tests no longer would be permitted to practice in the area bounded by Isabella Avenue, Third Street, Washington Street and Murray Avenue in Jamestown. Frederick B. Heerlein, state motor vehicle bureau inspector said restrictions were the result of amended legislation that became effective July 1. The limitation applied to individuals, driving schools and high school and adult driver education classes. The new regulations also forbid driving school operators from taking their instruction vehicles into the test area, he said. Police Capt. Roy W. Peterson said the police department had complaints for years on persons practicing in the examination area “at all hours of the day and night.” The condition constituted a “nuisance, traffic hazard and congested situation.”