In Years Past

In 1913, Edward T. Connelly, who a few days ago leased the Samuels Opera House in Jamestown for the coming year, had purchased the Lyric Theater at East Third and Spring streets and would manage both playhouses. The theater was built five or six years previously and had been under the management of Harry A. Deardourff from the time of its opening. In addition to these two theaters, Mr. Connelly would continue the management of the Grand Theater at Main and First streets for the present, at least. Mr. Connelly informed The Journal that he would have The Lyric completely renovated during the next few weeks, portions of the interior to be redecorated and he intended that the opening should take place late in August or early in September.

A.B. Carter who was charged by Sanitary Inspector John A. Hulquist with leaving a manure pile uncovered, in violation of the health ordinances of Jamestown, came into police court this forenoon and said to Justice Maharon that technically he was guilty, however, he maintained the manure pile was absolutely harmless. Justice Maharon imposed a fine of $5 for the violation of the ordinance. Sanitary Inspector Hulquist was present at the proceeding and insisted that Mr. Carter had been warned of the violation. Mr. Carter said he had received no warning. “We sent you a citation to appear before the board of health,” said Mr. Hulquist. “I never received it,” replied Mr. Carter. Mr. Hulquist went to his office and returned with a registry receipt which he exhibited to Mr. Carter. “Is this your signature?” he asked. “It is not,” replied Carter promptly. “Someone else signed it.”

In 1938, necessity ruled over sentiment and the city of Jamestown, which owned the extensive Broadhead Worsted Mills property on East First Street, deemed it necessary to remove the three upper stories of the largest building in the group, the seven-story structure at the east end of the long stretch of buildings of assorted sizes. The contract for this work had been awarded to Harry Eck and he expected to have a force of men at work Monday morning. The big building was one of the earlier of the plant structures, being erected in the late nineties and within its walls was bound up a great deal of the history of the textile industry in Jamestown as well as memories on the part of many hundreds of men and women who were employed there at one time or another. The mill was established in 1875 and operated until a few years ago when they were compelled to go out of business because of the depression.

Kenneth G. Prince, 27, who was badly burned the past Friday morning in the fire at the Manufacturers’ gasoline station at 86 Steele Street in Jamestown, died from the burns the previous day in Jamestown General Hospital. While his condition was critical from the first, Prince, who was injured when a tank truck he was filling suddenly burst into flames, had shown improvement and hopes for his recovery had been held. Blood transfusions were made in an effort to save his life. Prince was a member of one of the best known of the older English families of Jamestown. He was grandson of the late John Prince, well-known meat market proprietor on Foote Avenue, who died many years ago.

In 1988, the drought had arrived in Chautauqua County but area municipalities were not experiencing any water supply problems. The situation would appear to be contradictory but such were the reports from area spokesmen. Andrew Dufresne, agricultural program leader with the Cornell Cooperative Extension, said of the situation, “The drought has arrived here in Chautauqua County now.” He explained, “In the last couple days, corn is beginning to show some real stress signs.” Despite the dry surface conditions, underground water supplies for commercial use appeared to be holding up well.

In spite of high temperatures around Western New York, it seemed to be business as usual – unless you happened to have some fans for sale. John Bootey, manger of Valu Home Center, 360 Fairmount Plaza in Lakewood, said, “We’re all sold out. We’re getting more fans tomorrow, but we expect to sell them as soon as they come in.” Richard Rothleder, a clerk at Falconer Hardware in Falconer, said fan sales there were, “excellent. We’re sold out and have some on order.” While the area had been experiencing high temperatures, the only record seemed to be the 103 degrees set on June 21.