In Years Past

In 1913, the strike of the employees of the Chautauqua Traction Company and the Jamestown Railway Company had been officially declared off. It commenced on May 1. It was ended June 28. Action was taken Sunday afternoon. Only a small proportion of the original number of strikers were present. It was formally voted that the strike be declared off. The action of the car men was a complete surprise to the street railway officials who had received no intimation of the intended action. General Manager Maltby was apprised of the news and at once addressed himself to the task of locating President Broadhead. He had quite a hard job for Mr. Broadhead was staying up the lake and it was not easy to find him. The street railway officials made preparations for a busy day as it was expected that applications of the old employees for reinstatement would be received.

Twenty-five thousand veterans in blue and gray, the biggest army of its kind that had been gathered together in 50 years, woke this day on the field of Gettysburg to the call of reveille and the warlike rattle of pots and pans in a score of mess tents. Veterans who sat about camp fires until late at night were up long before the sun climbed over the hills of the Blue Ridge. Before the electric lights of this modern camp were turned out to make way for the sun, the veterans were singing the songs of war times and the wide streets of the tented city echoed with the “Ki Yi” of “Johnny Reb,” and the hoarser yell of his Yankee brother from the north.

In 1938, Miss Esther Pyun of Honolulu, Hawaii, student at Schauffler College, Cleveland, had been invited as guest at the Y.W.C.A. camp at Clement Park on Chautauqua Lake from July 19 to Aug. 2, according to announcement by the camp director, Miss Florine G. Miller. It had been customary for several years to have a student from a foreign country as camp guest in order that a program of international friendship might be emphasized.

Let’s be alive on the Fifth! With this slogan, Jamestown Chief of Police Edwin Nyholm appealed to all residents of Jamestown and vicinity to cooperate with the police department in an effort to make the Fourth of July a safe and sane holiday. Pointing to the National Safety Council’s report that in 1937 10,200 persons were killed in this country in July and a large proportion of those on the Fourth of July holiday – Chief Nyholm requested the aid of parents and older brothers and sisters in cautioning the younger people against the use of explosive fireworks. At the same time he called upon adults themselves to exercise caution with that worst of all instruments of death – the automobile.

In 1988, Gov. Mario Cuomo might finally follow through the next week on a 1986 promise to be a cub reporter for The Post-Journal. Editor Cristie Herbst said gubernatorial aides told her Cuomo planned to visit Jamestown on Tuesday. She said the plans called for Cuomo to cover ceremonies for a new addition at Blackstone Corp., one of the city’s major employers, as a reporter for The Post-Journal. Cuomo’s visit to Blackstone had been confirmed for 11 a.m. Tuesday in connection with plans for a major research/testing facility at the firm that was a major manufacturer of heat exchange equipment for the automotive industry.

Telephone service to about 1,500 ALLTEL New York subscribers in Jamestown’s north side and along Fluvanna Avenue toward Greenhurst was restored by about 7 a.m. this day after being interrupted by a digging operation the previous afternoon. Equipment excavating for a new water service line to a home at Lakeview and Newton avenues in the city struck two of three telephone cables buried between 3 and 4 feet underground in the area. The service interruption was the first major one of the season in the area for ALLTEL.