In Years Past

In 1913, Peterson & Wood, proprietors of the Mozart Theater in Jamestown, who recently bought the old Ormes property on the west side of Main Street, between Third and Fourth streets, as the site for a new building, were negotiating with the Mt. Tabor Building Association for the purchase of the adjoining property at the southwest corner of Main and Fourth streets, although the deal had not yet been closed up. If Peterson & Wood succeeded in acquiring this property, they would have one of the finest sites for a theater which it was possible to secure in Jamestown.

Fred F. Gardiner was drowned in Lake Keuka, north of Bath, N.Y., and as yet efforts to recover his body had proved futile. Gardiner was operating an aeroplane. In making a turn he was seen to incline the machine at too acute an angle, with the result that the machine turned turtle and was precipitated a distance of 100 feet into the water. A flying boat that was in operation upon the lake hurried to where the aeroplane floated as a futile search was made for Gardiner’s body. Gardiner was a resident of Portland, Maine. For some weeks he had been at Lake Keuka engaged in aeronautic pursuits. He was about 25 years of age.

In 1938, the village of Bemus Point would enforce this year an ordinance relative to the shooting of fireworks which had been for some time on the village book of local laws. Fireworks could be used all day Saturday, July 1, and during the evening of that day and again during the day and evening of Monday, July 4. Otherwise, all fireworks and noisemaking explosives were forbidden.

A Supreme Court jury in Little Valley was hearing a claim made by George L. Weaver that Samuel Cramer of Franklinville sold him forty cows at $65 a head in July and that by the middle of the past winter 23 of them had lost their calves. He claimed Cramer knew the cattle were infected with Bang’s Disease. Ignatz Saha testified that Cramer had shortly before taken 40 dairy cows from him presumably the same ones, after 15 of them had lost their calves. Cramer denied knowledge of any infection.

In 1963, a fire the previous morning at D. H. Grandin Milling Co. was started by an arsonist, Jamestown Police and Fire Department officials said as they continued an extensive investigation. Discovered at 7:28 a.m., the fire had burned a hole about three feet in diameter in the first floor of the Allen Street plant’s “L” section before automatic water sprinklers quenched the flames. Fire Chief Virgil Eggleston notified police when a kerosene-fueled street flare was discovered on some wiring a few inches below the floor of the building.

Fire officials blamed a faulty furnace switch for a blaze, which damaged the St. Nicholas’ Greek Orthodox church building in Jamestown shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday. The loss had not been estimated. No one was injured. Assistant Fire Chief Ted Hubbard reported the gas heated furnace was turned on earlier in the day because a meeting was scheduled for that night. The switch, Chief Hubbard’s report said, failed to shut off. Flames flared into the air ducts in the ground floor of the two story frame building, broke out on the interior and exterior walls and spread into the ceiling and attic.

In 1988, New York’s top fiscal officer, Comptroller Edward Regan, said the state’s projected budget deficit might be more than the $900 million predicted by Gov. Mario Cuomo. But Regan said that it was “impossible” right now to determine exactly how much higher the projected deficit might go, although he said he was fairly sure the increase wouldn’t be very great. The size of the shortfall – in fact, whether one even existed – had been the focal point of the latest fiscal debate between Democrats and Republicans at the Capitol.

Cassadaga village officials were hearing the complaints about vandalism and beach trespassing that cropped up each year when the weather turned warm. Cassadaga police officer William Barthold told the Cassadaga Village Board he had caught a number of people using the beach which did not open until July 3. Barthold said trespassing continued throughout the summer during hours when the beach was closed. He advised the village to post carefully worded “No Trespassing” signs to avoid liability. Barthold said that some people gained access to the beach by boat. Because of the instances of trespassing by boat, he suggested some signs be situated facing the water.