In Years Past

In 1913, the people of Jamestown were due to hear a good deal about pedestrianism for the next day or two. Three men were walking from New York to Minneapolis, all over the same route, which included Jamestown as a stopping place for the night. One of these men was a national celebrity, Edward Payson Weston. The second of the two, John Ennis, in his day was also a famous pedestrian and a rival of Weston. The third was a new man. He was some distance behind but said he would beat both the veterans on the home stretch of their long tramp.

There was no change in the existing situation of the strike of the employees of the Jamestown, Chautauqua & Lake Erie Railroad. The little railroad was still tied up or practically so and no one could say when operations would be resumed. Superintendent B.H. Smith said the company was exerting every effort to secure competent men to operate the trains. “We have had the services of men whom we did not deem competent offered to us but we have refused,” said Mr. Smith. “We wish to have as competent employees as those who quit the service.” The gasoline car was put in commission and made a run up the road as far as Point Chautauqua Monday night. It was planned to make a similar run on this evening.

In 1938, Babe Ruth would return to baseball as coach of the Brooklyn Dodgers, General manager Larry S. MacPhail announced this day. In a brief statement which he declined to amplify, MacPhail said Ruth had agreed to terms after a conference the previous night attended by Ruth, MacPhail, Burleigh Grimes, manager of the Dodgers and Leo Durocher, shortstop and captain of the club. Ruth would be in uniform for the following day’s double-header with the Chicago Cubs. The Babe, greatest home run hitter in the history of baseball, was playing golf and could not be reached immediately for comment.

Senator Royal S. Copeland, 69-year-old New York Democrat and physician-legislator, died the previous night – a victim of the overwork and congressional strain against which he often had cautioned his colleagues. Death came at 7:45 p.m. at his apartment in Washington after a sudden general circulatory collapse. His physician, Dr. Harry Kaufman, said the Senator had “driven himself too hard” during the session of Congress which ended two nights ago. Copeland had stayed on the Senate floor until almost the last, fighting a dozen major legislative battles under the heavy pressure of a pre-adjournment rush.

In 1963, opposition to the fluoridation of Jamestown’s water supply sparked a demonstration staged by foes of the program at a session of City Council. Threats of political reprisals in the November election if councilmen failed to reverse their previous action authorizing Fluoridation were sounded by two spokesmen for the anti-fluoridationists – Myron Baker, Falconer chiropractor, and George Simpson, Chairman of the Citizens Committee which had sponsored a petition for a referendum on the issue. Council President Jess J. Present called a halt to the discussion after two speakers in favor of fluoridation were made the targets of loud boos and catcalls.

Miss Freda Ivett of South Dayton had a hobby that paid off in more ways than one. Her hobby was leathercraft. She made many attractive leather items for herself and friends. Recently the Craftsman, a national magazine devoted to hand crafts, announced that it had accepted an illustrated article, submitted by Miss Ivett, for publication and for cash, too. The article had to do with shoe-carrying bags for winter use, the kind the office girls carried their dress shoes in when they had to wear heavy snow boots. We always thought it was their lunch. Miss Ivett’s article told how to make one yourself and included patterns for cutting out the leather.

In 1988, New York was one of the last states which had residents vote on school budgets. For many school districts it was quite a problem. But oddly enough, at least some superintendents who had been hit hard by the public’s opinion, stood behind the public’s right to that voice. “I think the fundamental principle of public education is local control,” said Kenneth Wasmund, first-year superintendent at Ripley Central School where the following year’s budget had been shot down twice. “The people vote for the board members and they vote for their budgets,” he said. And that was OK with him. It was also OK with Clymer Superintendent Robert Reagle. “I think it’s a real pain to work around … but yes, I have to agree with it … I think it keeps everybody honest.”

People’s mouths might drop open upon seeing the color combinations in the restored Fenton Museum parlor, Candy Larson, director of the museum, said. They would be astonished because they would be looking at the room with what she called a “1980 eye” instead of one that was trained in the Victorian period. Tastes in colors had changed in the past 100 years, Mrs. Larson explained. The ceiling was painted in 16 colors; various shades of pink, dusty rose, burgundy, brick red, blue-green, lavender and olive green. These weren’t combinations seen in modern interiors. The room was being recreated to look as nearly as possible the way it did when Gov. Fenton and his family lived in the house, with emphasis on the period from 1863 to 1885.