Early Grocers On Main Street
The Hometown History column is presented by the Fenton History Center and The Post-Journal. Each Friday, a distinct item from the Fenton History Center collections or archival special collections will be featured. Learn about your hometown history through parts of its past.
If one of the items featured brings back some memories or brings up a question, please contact the Fenton History Center at 664-6256 or firstname.lastname@example.org to share your memory or get an answer to your question.
- ? ?
By Karen E. Livsey
Daniel G. Ogilvie was born in January 1864 in Scotland. Charles E. Treat was born February 1865 in Panama, N.Y. By 1892 both men were grocers in Jamestown. Daniel was working in the Cook, Treat and Todd store at 211 Main St. By 1895, Daniel was associated with Edwin Cook and B. C. Hollenbeck in the Empire Grocery Company located at 18 E. Third St. Charles was with DeForest Cook but had moved to 9 W. Third St., and Lafayette Todd was gone. A few years later, other changes had been made. Todd was back with Edwin Cook in Todd and Cook at 20 E. Third St. DeForest Cook and Charles Treat had a grocery at 30-32 Main St. with Daniel as a clerk there. Soon both Cooks were associated with Charles Treat, and Lafayette Todd was gone. Daniel Ogilvie continued with Cook and Treat.
It was about 1909 that the Cooks changed jobs, and Charles Treat and Daniel Ogilvie became partners in Treat and Ogilvie, Wholesale Fruit and Produce, which was located at 208 Pine St. Previously the wholesale fruit company that had been located at that address was Lundquist and Johnson, owned by Sam Lundquist and Leonard Johnson. By 1909, Leonard Johnson was in partnership with Frederick Byford with wholesale fruits and produce at 7 W. Second St., and Sam Lundquist had changed jobs. H. P. Lally from Dunkirk took over the store at 30-32 Main St. and continued to sell groceries.
For the next 30 plus years, Treat and Ogilvie continued the wholesale fruit and produce business from the 208 Pine St. location. Beginning with the 1920 city directory, the address given for the business is 208-210 Pine St., which is a bit confusing. The location of the Jamestown Telephone Company is given as 210 Pine St. The Sanborn Fire Insurance maps are consistent with 210 Pine St. being the building that was the telephone company and until recently the Town Club. In a photo of the building housing the telephone company in a book published in 1901, it can be seen that there is an alleyway between that building and the building at 208 Pine housing Treat and Ogilvie. This alleyway on the Sanborn maps is later filled in with a one-story building. This was probably used by Treat and Ogilvie, and they used the 208-210 Pine St. to indicate the expansion into a second building, but it was not formally changed to be 210 Pine St. That address remained the address for the telephone company building.
About the end of World War II, Treat and Ogilvie sold out to Sam Lundquist Jr., the son of the former owner. In early 1947, the business changed hands a couple of times and ended up with Frank Donato. He continued the business under the old name of Treat and Ogilvie. It stayed in the Donato family but moved to other locations until about 1962, after which it was no longer listed in the city directories.
Charles Treat died in Jamestown at the age of 82 and is buried in Lake View Cemetery. His business partner of many years, Daniel Ogilvie, died in Jamestown, age 83, in December of 1947 and is buried in Lake View Cemetery.
- ? ?
The purpose of the Fenton History Center is to gather and teach about southern Chautauqua County’s history through artifacts, ephemeral and oral histories, and other pieces of the past.
Visit www.fentonhistorycenter.org for more information on upcoming events.
If you would like to donate to the collections or support the work of the Fenton History Center, call 664-6256 or visit the center at 67 Washington St., just south of the Washington Street Bridge.