In Years Past

  • In 1913, a farewell reception was held Friday evening in the parlors of the First Lutheran Church of Jamestown for Miss Alma Anderson, who expected to leave on June 9 for a visit to Sweden in the hope of benefiting her health. Miss Anderson for many years had been a faithful teacher in the Sunday school and the other teachers and friends gathered to show their appreciation of her and to bid her good bye. She was wished a pleasant voyage and a safe return and on behalf of the company was presented with a purse of money.
  • The second arrest in the campaign begun by the Jamestown board of health to enforce the milk ordinances had been made. The defendant was John Loun, a milk dealer. He was charged with selling milk without procuring a license. In police court the previous forenoon he pleaded guilty to the charge and was fined $5 by Justice Maharon. This was only the opening of the campaign. The health officials expected to enrich the city treasury still further. It was their intention to prosecute every person in Jamestown who was selling milk without procuring the license required by the health ordinances.
  • In 1938, Ex-Mayor George J. Zimmermann, who was Buffalo’s chief executive from 1934 until Jan. 1, 1938, was convicted in Supreme Court this day on six counts of an indictment charging that he sought or took illegal fees while in office. He was found innocent on two other counts. The counts on which the jury convicted Zimmerman charged that he accepted $6,500 from a Buffalo insurance broker in exchange for the use of his influence in the sale of insurance to contractors on a sewer project.
  • Jamestown’s largest fraternal convention of the year would get underway the following evening as “open house” would be held at the Washington Street clubrooms of Jamestown council, 926, for delegates to the 43rd annual convention of the New York State council, Knights of Columbus. Twelve hundred men and women from all parts of the state were expected to attend the gathering here to continue through Sunday morning. Preparations were rapidly nearing completion for entertainment of the visitors.
  • In 1963, a warming weather trend through the weekend should end further threat to area fruit crops – crops which had been hard hit by heavy frost three times over the spring. Agricultural officials and individual farmers were unable to assess the extent to which crops might have been damaged by the heavy frost of the previous morning. There appeared to be little question that the damage was heavy, but it would be a number of weeks before it was possible to guess how heavy. The temperature remained above the freezing mark in Jamestown on this morning. The overnight low was 33 degrees but the temperature fell below zero in many rural sectors.
  • A proposal to dissolve the village of Celoron was discussed at a meeting of a group of village taxpayers. Among the leaders of the group were Wayne Tranmer, of Dunham Ave; Robert Moffett of W. Duquesne St.; and Raymond Frank of Metcalfe Ave. Those attending the meeting expressed the opinion that sources of tax revenue in the village had been diminishing for some years while village taxpayers had been contributing to the Town of Ellicott and that duplication of services by the town and the village existed. Advantages would be gained, they felt from dissolving the village and becoming part of the Town of Ellicott.
  • In 1988, the Jamestown Medical Society supported Mayor Steven B. Carlson’s attempt to resolve the financial crisis at Jamestown General Hospital by calling for a merger with WCA Hospital. JGH’s liabilities exceeded its assets by $3,127,604 and losses of another $269,150 had been sustained in 1988. Society spokesman Dr. Bert W. Rappole said that it was just too expensive for Jamestown to keep two acute-care hospitals.
  • Thousands of evacuated residents of Seaford, NY waited to return home as propane from an overturned tank truck burned for a second day. The fire was so intense and so potentially explosive that firefighters were prevented from approaching the burning truck loaded with about 2,500 gallons of propane. Instead, unmanned pumpers threw water on the blaze. Officials estimated the fire could burn as long as 30 hours, if no explosion occurred. The truck overturned the previous morning on the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway after the driver experienced a problem with the truck’s rear wheels. Long Island Rail Road was forced to suspend all commuter rail service on a nearby line.