In Years Past

In 1913, Martin Miller received word in Corry from his brother, W.C. Miller at Irvine, that during the first trials of the Miller biplane since it was overhauled earlier in the year, the machine had proved a bigger success than ever. The head piece had been entirely removed and while this to some extent increased the peril of wrecking the outfit, it had been found to make it possible for the biplane to develop a speed approximately of 90 to 100 mph. In the first flight made, Miller drove his machine to a point between Corry and Warren, then descended at Starbrick to allow his motor to cool. After a few minutes stop at Starbrick, Miller drove the biplane back to Irvine. This was the first trip made with the headpiece off and the increased speed was something terrific.

The warm summer days meant a great deal to the members of both the boys’ and men’s departments of the Young Men’s Christian Association as the building was very attractive. The swimming pool spelled coolness and to this was added the out of door activities such as Bible classes under the trees, hiking, overnight camps, etc. There was a splendid opportunity for all the young men who stayed in Jamestown. The summer camp would prove of great interest to the large number of boys and men this year. The camp would be located at the same site as the previous year in the grove at Point Chautauqua. The camp was a decided success the past year and everything pointed to an even better camp this year. The YMCA would swing wide the doors through June, July and August. A special membership ticket, good for all the privileges during the summer months, would cost the boys $1 and the men $3.

In 1938, William St. John, Ashville fisherman, claimed whatever laurels were available for the following fish story. Fishing in Goose Creek, which ran through his farm, several days previously, Mr. St. John snared a brown speckled trout, 19 inches long and 11 inches around, weighing 3 pounds and 2 ounces. He reported taking the prize catch to the general store of Clayton F. Lloyd in Ashville, where it was put on the scales. Several witnesses were on hand and confirmed the story.

The annual May Day festival, an important event in the school year, was held Friday afternoon in Lakewood. This was also the annual visiting day of the eighth-grade students from the rural schools of the third Supervisory district. During the morning hours these pupils visited classes and had opportunity of learning the routine of high school and the many advantages of extra activities, in the way of music, sports, manual training, domestic science, dramatics, physical training, agricultural training and others. Lunch was eaten in the cafeteria after which the visiting boys played ball and some of the girls had a basketball game in the gymnasium. During the noon hour, stands for the sale of ice cream, candy, popcorn, peanuts and other refreshments were set up on the campus and did a thriving business. The fish pond was quickly sold out.

In 1963, more than 200 diners walked out calmly as a fire broke out shortly after 7 p.m. in the Starlite Cafe, Route 17 at Dutch Hollow Road, causing upward of $25,000 damage to the restaurant in a frame-brick building. No one was injured. The fire apparently originated in a partition behind the kitchen stove and flared upward, gutting an empty upstairs apartment and employees’ dressing room. Owner Yngve Carlson, 45, was unaware of the fire; he was preparing steaks for diners, when an unidentified person came into the restaurant and reported smoke was pouring form the second floor of the building.

Rep. Charles E. Goodell, R-Jamestown, was hoping he wouldn’t be in the doghouse with his two oldest sons. He had some cause for worry after speaker McCormack decreed that congressmen would not be able to take children onto the house floor while astronaut L. Gordon Cooper addressed a joint meeting of the House and Senate. Goodell didn’t learn of the rule until he and the boys reached the floor of the House where they were turned away by a vigilant doorkeeper. The Congressman scooted inside to telephone his office to have an aide come and rescue the boys. When he came back, he discovered his two sons were one-up on both he and Mrs. Goodell. While the boys waited, Cooper was greeting Capitol dignitaries in the speaker’s room before going into the House chamber. Aides spotted the boys and took them over to see Major Cooper, closeup and even let them shake the astronaut’s hand. William Rice Goodell, 7, and Timothy Goodell, 6, each were happy to show one and all the hand-that-shook-the-hand of Astronaut Cooper.