Update 4 p.m.: Natural Gas Explosion Destroys Westfield Home

WESTFIELD – Firefighters from four departments battled a house fire Monday at 8131 McKinley Road, Westfield. According to a press release from the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s office, the home exploded and subsequently caught fire.

The Westfield Fire Department requested assistance from the Chautauqua County Fire Investigation Team to determine the cause. Upon completion of an investigation, it was determined the incident was an accidental natural gas explosion.

The home was supplied with non-odorized natural gas from an old, private gas well on the property, the release states. A gas leak in the basement led to the explosion. The home was completely destroyed. No one was at home at the time of the incident.

For more information, see Tuesday’s edition of The Post-Journal.