Fire Extinguished On S. Main Street

Carelessly discarded smoking materials led to a fire on a porch at 376 S. Main St. at 5:40 p.m. Thursday. The fire ignited several bags of trash but did not affect the structure of the residence, according to Don Woodfield, battalion chief for Jamestown Fire Department. A neighbor helped remove the burning bags as firefighters were arriving on scene. Investigators believe a woman who lived at the residence was not home at the time of the fire, but her children were and they safely exited the home.

P-J photo by Matt Spielman