In Years Past

In 1913, Herman August Schultz, eight years old, son of Mrs. August Schultz of Maple Street, Westfield, was drowned in what was known as the mill dam in Westfield Creek late Saturday afternoon. His body was found floating in the creek near the Westfield mills Sunday night by two boys. They went to the mill and told Martin Stoakes, who took the body from the water. Young Schultz went swimming with two other young boys and whether or not they were with him when he was drowned had not been learned but it was thought that they were and became frightened and ran away.

Bert Oscar Anderson of North Work Street, Falconer, well known in both Falconer and Jamestown as B. O. Anderson, left his home Sunday shortly before noon and could not be found by his family or friends. The family was very greatly concerned over his unexplained absence and asked The Journal to make facts known to the public. Mr. Anderson had spent more than 30 years in Falconer and was a hard working Christian man with no bad habits, exemplary in this conduct and spoken of in the highest terms by all who knew him. He attended church with his wife on Sunday, came home and remarked that he was tired of it all and was going away. He had not been seen since. He was almost 60 years old and had worked at farming most of his life.

In 1938, Jamestown police were busy investigating the ransacking of the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde G. Jones, 404 East Fifth Street, while the family was in Buffalo the previous day. It was believed the intruders were in the home between 7:30 and 10:15 p.m. George Jones, son of the couple, discovered what had occurred when he returned home at 10:15 p.m. and reported the matter to police promptly. So far as could be determined, nothing was stolen. A hatchet found near a basement window through which entrance was probably effected, was taken to headquarters for fingerprint examination. Fragments of the broken window pane were taken for the same kind of study.

A man about 50 years of age, believed to be W. V Stevenson of R. F. D. 3, Pleasantville, Pa., was found dead along the B & O railroad tracks near the Fenton farm just outside Salamanca and at the upper end of the railroad yards this morning about 6:30. The name was given on a card carried in his billfold, with instructions in case of accident to notify Jess Stevens of Pleasantville. An overcoat and lunch were found in a box car at that point leading to believe the man had jumped out of the car in front of a freight train.

In 1963, Cynthia Lou “Cindy” Bush, 8-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Bush of Livingston Avenue, Celoron, beamed a happy smile as she received her crown and regal robes as Miss Chautauqua Princess of 1963 Saturday afternoon at the State Armory. Princess Cindy, a second grader, was crowned by Miss Chautauqua County – Kay Rendell, of Watts Flats. The crowning was part of the two-day show to aid the current cancer fund drive.

Police and fire officials continued their investigation to determine the cause of a small oil stove explosion which took the life of one person and injured two others, one critically. The explosion occurred at 1:20 p.m. Sunday in the family’s small one-story frame camp at the Goose Creek camping area near Vukote. The three victims, all of Lewis Run, near Bradford, were asleep at the time of the explosion. Fatally burned was Mrs. Nell Toothman, 45, who died in Jamestown General Hospital at 7 p.m. Sunday. Injured were her grandchildren, Robert Williams, 1, whose condition was critical and his sister Becky Williams, 2. Her condition was listed as good.

In 1988, a half-scale replica of the Vietnam memorial wall would be on display at the Dunkirk Historic Lighthouse grounds from August 26 through Sept. 1, according to Harold Lawson, president of the Lighthouse and Veteran’s Park Museum in Dunkirk. “We know Vietnam vets feel left out and we want to show them we care,” Lawson said. The memorial would be available for public viewing free of charge 24 hours a day during the week it would be in the area.

Rainy weather didn’t stop about 75 Jamestown General Hospital nurses from participating in what they called a “right to know rally” the previous afternoon on Tracy Plaza at Jamestown City Hall. The rally was an attempt to gain community support to keep JGH a full service health care facility, said Kathleen Moore, president of the Nurses Association. She said Jamestown needed two hospitals and not a health care monopoly. “No decisions were made on the financial crisis at JGH,” said Mayor Steven B. Carlson this morning