In Years Past

100 Years Ago

In 1913, the production of “Sweet Clover” at The Lyric this week showed that Col. Horne was sparing neither work or expense in making the offerings of the Horne Stock Company up to the minute in every respect. “Sweet Clover” was of the type of rural play that was sure to find favor with all classes of theatergoers as the story had a strong heart appeal and interspersed with the clever comedy furnished by such familiar characters as Aunt Abigail, Uncle Jerome, Sunnie and other down east folk. Next week the management would present a superbly staged production of George Middleton’s dramatization of Meredith Nicholson’s widely read romance, “The House of a Thousand Candles”, a weird and unusual play in four acts.

The moving picture people were planning to take views in Jamestown for exhibition here and perhaps elsewhere. Mayor Carlson had received a letter from a moving picture corporation in which it was stated that Jamestown would be included in a new series of films showing in moving pictures the realities of civic life and industries of the city. The pictures would be shown in the moving picture theaters under the title “Civic America.” The cooperation of the mayor was asked in a letter the company sent, to the extent of having interesting events carried out in the streets, such as parades, fire runs, etc. The mayor was to turn the letter over to the park board.

75 Years Ago

In 1938, a conviction in Mayville seven years previously counted heavily against Sam Bellavia, 25, when he appeared for sentencing before Erie County Judge F. Bret Thorn in Buffalo, pleading guilty to a charge of robbery in the recent holdup of a Buffalo liquor store. Judge Thorn sentenced Bellavia to serve from 30 to 60 years in Attica prison as a second felony offender after the defendant admitted a conviction for attempted extortion in 1931 in Mayville. An accomplice in the crime, Patsy Malucci, 26, was sentenced to Attica for 10 to 30 years. Both men had been badly beaten by sons and friends of the store proprietor, who frustrated the holdup. Alexander Taylor, the pair’s attorney pleaded that the prisoners were “honest boys at heart.”

Jamestown police were searching for three gypsies, two of them women, driving a large, black sedan with Michigan license plates, who, it was alleged on Friday, fleeced an 80-year-old Stowe Street man of $7.50. According to the man’s story, the car stopped and the driver asked him what street they were on. Then the women got out of the machine, he said, and began to feel his muscles, telling him he should take treatments for rheumatism. When they got into the car and drove on, the Jamestowner discovered he was minus the money.

50 Years Ago

In 1963, a bomb threat in the elementary school in Warren sent state police and the North Warren Volunteer Fire Department to the premises in the morning hours. The school was completely evacuated of its 375 students and 14 teachers. State police reported that they received a call at 9:10 a.m. saying that a bomb had been planted in the school and was scheduled to go off at 9:45 a.m. The North Warren Volunteer Fire Department was summoned with two trucks and an ambulance. A thorough search was made of the school premises before 9:45 and officials had started a second search. Police reported that the voice of the caller sounded like a young male and that the bomb might be the work of a prankster.

Two AWOL army youths ran out of their shoes after a third of a mile foot chase. At 10:30 the previous morning on Route 39 near Forestville, Trooper Richard Rogers stopped an eastbound 1962 Chevrolet on a routine check. While the officer was recording the names of the men, identified as Keith Wendell John, 19, of Englewood, N.J., and his companion, Joseph Igloe, 18, of Chicago, they sped away. Trooper Rogers gave chase in the state police cruiser at speeds of more than 100 mph on several occasions. The driver made a turn, went off the road and became stuck. The soldiers dashed away on foot across wet fields. John lost both of his shoes and Igloe lost one of his. The youths were cornered in a farm yard. An investigation disclosed they had stolen the car in Chicago. They had been AWOL from Ft. Sheridan, Ill., since April 15.