In Years Past

In 1913, Gladys Probst, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M. W. Probst of 19 West Second Street, aged 6 years, was struck by a motor truck driven by Andrew J. Lawson, the contractor, in front of her home, shortly before noon this day but escaped without any broken bones or serious injuries. The child was crossing the street to the meat market when the truck swung into Second from Cherry Street and then veered out to pass a wagon standing by the curb, just as the little girl ran out from behind the wagon. Luckily she didn’t quite get in front of the machine but was thrown to one side by the fender, striking face first against the curb. This was the second accident the child had figured in, the other being a runaway on East Second near the Falconer line, when she was with her father. She was thrown from the buggy in that incident but escaped injury, though her father was not quite so fortunate.

Edward O’Neill of Jamestown, a barber, fell off train 6 on the Erie Railroad Monday evening between Steamburg and Red House. He was brought to this city and taken in an ambulance to the Woman’s Christian Association hospital, where he was attended by the Erie Railroad physician, Dr. W. M. Bemus. He sustained several bad scalp wounds, a broken left hand and a bruised back, besides many other body bruises. At the hospital it was stated that Mr. O’Neill’s injuries were not serious and that he would be out in a few days.

In 1938, members of the highway committee of Jamestown city council decided to recommend that the city spend not to exceed $600 for construction of a wharf at the boatlanding, if details could be arranged so that the city would not become involved to a greater degree financially. The action was taken at the request of several interested groups and individuals, including the Chamber of Commerce. Secretary Lucian J. Warren and two other members of the Chamber of Commerce, as well as several other persons, requested the committee to build a dock at the Boatlanding suitable for all kinds of lake craft.

Celoron Park was being completely rejuvenated and reconditioned for the approaching season and would be formally opened on May 28, according to announcement by J. G. Campbell, general manager of the Jamestown Motor Bus Transportation Company, which would operate the amusement park this season. The program was still in process of completion but many attractions had already been booked. Animal acts, stunt riders and acrobatic teams had already been signed up for the free programs to be offered on the amusement park stage. One of the changes which would be noticed was the disappearance of the old Funhouse, formerly situated near the baseball park. A new ride called Ghost Alley had been built to replace the Funhouse.

In 1963, Jamestown Fire Chief Virgil Eggleston had outlined possible consequences of false alarms such as the three received in the same general vicinity during little more than a half hour early Sunday. The normal complement of three pieces of equipment was dispatched in response to each of the box alarms and would seriously have affected effectiveness of the city’s fire fighting force if a real emergency had existed elsewhere during the period, he said. The alarms were received from Buffalo Street School, from Buffalo Street and Lakeview Avenue and from North Main and Price streets. Police were investigating the three false alarms in hopes of apprehending the person or persons responsible.

Four persons were injured in a three-car accident while the vehicles were part of a 32-car funeral procession Sunday on Route 17, Town of Coldspring. The vehicles were all enroute to the Long House at Steamburg where funeral services were held for Seneca Indian Chief Walter Jimerson. Wilbur Black, 29, of Red House, stopped his car when the cars ahead slowed down to make a left turn. Wayne Abrams, 24, of Steamburg, was nearly stopped when the third car operated by Mrs. Bernice Markham, 49, of Killbuck, struck the rear of Abrams’ machine, causing it to strike the rear of Black’s car.

In 1988, a consumer group had gone to court to try and force state officials to suspend the toll increase that went into effect April 15 on the New York State Thruway. The lawsuit filed by the college-oriented New York Public Interest Research Group, Inc. said the toll hike was illegal because the state comptroller did not issue a report on the increase before it was approved. “No one is above the law,” said Blair Horner, NYPIRG spokesman.

Cattaraugus County Sheriff Jerry Burrell praised members of the Little Valley Fire Department for the professional service and cooperation the department had given the community. “We are in the same business – serving the public,” he said at the installation dinner for the firemen and firemen’s auxiliary. Burrel was master of ceremonies for the event. “We need your continued service, leadership and decision making in Little Valley,” the sheriff added.