In Years Past

100 Years Ago

In 1913, the carload of provisions and other supplies for the flood afflicted districts of Ohio and Indiana provided by the citizens of Jamestown through the relief committee appointed by the mayor started on its journey the previous night at 8 p.m. The car was delivered at the Wilcox-Burchard switch Friday evening at 6 p.m. where the splendid assortment of goods had been made ready by the Wilcox-Burchard Company and the S.M. Flickenger Company.

A representative of the Warren-Jamestown traction line informed The Journal that the bridge where the trouble was which prevented the line from operating cars on Thursday and Friday was not the big iron bridge over the Conewango as had been stated but the long wooden trestle west of the Conewango iron bridge. This trestle was under water and fears were felt for its safety. The water had gone down sufficiently so employees of the company were assured of its safety and car service to Frewsburg was resumed on this morning.

75 Years Ago

In 1938, smuggling along the lower Niagara River had declined to such an extent that the United States border patrol would close its Lewiston station due to a lack of “customers.” Edward E. Adcock, patrol inspector, announced the six-man station would be discontinued no later than May 1. During the Prohibition era the Niagara River was the scene of major smuggling activity with organized rings operating fleets of speed boats. “We are closing the Lewiston station because of a lack of activity,” Adcock explained. “Smuggling has declined steadily during the past few years along the Canadian border.”

Following a conference between the Frewsburg Board of Education and the local health officer, Dr. R.M. Weidler, it was deemed advisable to close the Frewsburg High School this week on account of the developing of three scarlet fever cases among the pupils of the school. None of the cases was considered serious. The closing of the school would take the place of the spring vacation, which would have come in a few weeks. Dr. Weidler had also requested that there be no public gatherings for a few days as a precaution against the spread of the disease and no church services were held Sunday evening.

50 Years Ago

In 1963, Jamestown’s former post office and federal building, a landmark for 59 years at West Third and Washington streets, might be destined to come tumbling down over the summer to make way for a parking lot able to handle about 100 cars. Several bids for razing the structure were being considered by the owner, Michael Jawitz of Miami, Fla. Present plans were to remove the building, grade the area and surface it with blacktop for a parking lot. An unwanted “widow,” the three-story building and one-story addition had been vacant since December 1960 when the city’s new post office and federal building was opened at East Third Street and Prendergast Avenue.

Two Euclid, Ohio, boys, stung by spring fever, ended their wanderlust journey to “nowhere in particular” in Lakewood the previous afternoon. Officer Michael LaGrega spotted the “travelers,” 14 and 16 years of age, on Route 17J. The youths were eastbound and they could not offer any explanation as to where they were going other than that it was “spring” and they wanted to “travel.” Upon advice of Chautauqua County Children’s Court Judge Robert N. Palmer of Dunkirk, the boys were held as juvenile delinquents at the county jail in Mayville until their respective parents called for them.

25 Years Ago

In 1988, Chautauqua County had signed an option to acquire the Unigard Building at 110 E. Fourth St. in Jamestown as the possible location of a south county office complex, according to County Executive John A. Glenzer. He said the agreement was signed with James V. Paige Jr. of Lakewood, who headed Paige Development Corp., owner of the building. The option would give the county at least 60 days to a agree to buy the rambling structure for $775,000. It proposed to use the building to consolidate county services located throughout the Jamestown area – except for the Mental Health Clinic which would be continued in the Professional Building at Jamestown General Hospital.

What could have been a major blaze was confined to a chimney fire by Chautauqua and Mayville firefighters at a home on the grounds of Chautauqua Institution. “We were unsure when we first got there because the whole thing was full of smoke,” Chautauqua Fire Chief Jay Mease said, “but it turned out to be just a chimney fire.” He said damage was confined to minor smoke damage throughout the residence of Francesca Rappole of 39 N. Lake Drive. Thirty-five firemen were on the scene.