In Years Past

  • In 1913, although the high water in Jamestown was causing Jamestown manufacturers much uneasiness and no little loss on account of being forced to shut down their plants, the greater disaster outside claimed the most attention locally because of the fact that many had relatives and friends in the flood swept towns. This was particularly true of Peru, Indiana, where Jamestown capital was largely interested in a plant manufacturing automobile parts. This plant was started by those interested in the Salisbury Wheel Company. Erwin D. Sherman who was interested in both plants told a representative of The Journal that the Peru plant was located on high ground where it probably would not be affected by the flooding.
  • Residents of Lakewood and the large contingent of Jamestowners who made their summer homes at Lakewood and Beechwood would learn with interest and pleasure that they were to have a five cent fare on the Jamestown Street Railway Company’s line. The terminal of the line would be at Lowe Avenue which was at the extreme western end of the village. The five cent fare would be established on or before June 1. The street railway company would practically double its present service which would mean a car to and from Lakewood every 15 minutes.
  • In 1938, work was being rushed in this week on remodeling part of the C & E building at Ripley which would house a cheese factory. At a recent meeting, T.A. Lewis and his son, Max, who formerly operated a plant in Niobe, N.Y., agreed to open the plant in Ripley. The company formed by the producers was cooperative in character, the farmers handling their own money and paying the Lewises at the rate of two cents a pound for manufacturing the cheese.
  • An 84-year-old man fell dead from heart failure Friday as he attempted to stamp out a grass fire. The flames swept on and burned his body. The victim was John Marcello of Westfield. Authorities said the heart attack was evidently the result of exertion. The grass fire, which was burning at the rear of the McMann property along the J.W. & N.W. track had spread to within 20 feet of a warehouse and Marcello was beating and stamping it to curb it from spreading when he suffered the attack and fell into the flames. No one saw him fall. The body was discovered by Harry Hehir. The deceased was survived by one daughter, Miss Frances Marcello of Westfield and one son, John, of Buffalo.
  • In 1963, the village of Lakewood would have 24-hour police protection after June 1, according to action taken by the Village Board. The board decided to increase the police department to four regular and two special police officers.
  • Mary Gale Weatherlow of Summerdale was 16 years old this day. She was born at home because a real merry gale prevented a trip to the hospital for her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Weatherlow. Mr. Weatherlow and the baby’s grandmother, the late Mrs. Daisy McCleland, made the delivery, assisted by telephoned instructions from Dr. Robert Northrop in Westfield. It was the doctor who suggested the baby’s name. Mary Gale was a sophomore at Sherman Central School.
  • In 1988, floods were accepted as commonplace during certain times of the year in numerous parts of the country but there were precautions that could be taken to reduce their impact. Western New York had its traditional flood areas but in this year was expected to be largely spared from high water problems, due to a relatively light winter snow pack and a gradual melt that permitted the water to run off during an extended period.
  • Ask Robert M. Karbacka where the next moundful of dirt was being dug for a new house in Jamestown and he was likely to rattle the answer off in a matter of seconds. Karbacka knew the most intricate details about construction projects in the area for one simple reason: It was his job as the city’s one and only building inspector. As a self-employed carpenter in the early 1970s, he never dreamed he’d end up issuing building permits, checking a site for a swimming pool or listening to the latest squabble over a property line. But while visiting a friend here more than 16 years ago, he unexpectedly learned of an opening for a housing inspector position, interviewed and got the job.