In Years Past

  • In 1913, District Attorney Edward J. Green, who was at Westfield with Assistant District Attorney Thrasher, Sheriff Anderson and several deputies, investigating the death of Gaspard Palliggi, was very certain from the evidence already secured that it was a very clear case of murder. He had traced the movements of the man who was killed from the time he came here from Ripley, until evening of the day when his body was found beside the Lake Shore railroad tracks. An Italian with an unpronounceable name was already in custody, held as a witness. Other developments were likely to follow at any moment, as the sheriff’s department reinforced by George Harrison of the Jamestown police force, was engaged in running down a half dozen leads, any one of which could lead to the right party.
  • The month of March had been a record-breaker for the number of important golf events which had been scheduled for it and in every part of the country the results of these tournaments had been eagerly awaited by an increasing number of men and women who each year were becoming enthusiastically interested. Golf was a game for all the year round. Even upon a comparatively cold day the enthusiastic golfer could manage to keep his blood in active circulation during a brisk run around his course, while upon a warmer day he may take the exercise more leisurely. The golf “fans” were increasing in number every season and their interest was becoming quite as keen as that of the baseball “fans.” Golf, as a game, appealed to a larger class of people than any other outdoor sport. It was equally suitable for men and women, both young and old.
  • In 1938, a girl who told the court she was only 16 years old was awaiting grand jury action in Buffalo on bigamy charges. Arrested on the complaint of the man who said he was her first husband, Gertrude Hughes giggled as she was arraigned before City Judge Peter Maul. The judge admonished her, then ordered her held for grand jury action following her plea of innocence. George Salisbury, asking for the Hughes girl’s arrest, said she was married to him the past Aug. 17 and that two months later she left him and married Halsey D. Remington, United States army private at Fort Niagara. “If she is really 16,” the judge said, “I presume the only possible solution of her problem is the annulment of both marriages since they were entered into while she was below the age of consent.”
  • Two hitchhikers were arrested under unusual circumstances the previous morning when the driver who picked them up became frightened as to the possible designs of his “guests.” The driver picked one of the men up on North Main Street in Jamestown. He had traveled only a 100 feet farther when his passenger asked him to stop and pick up another hitchhiker, the first passenger’s brother. The driver did so, but then excused himself for a moment on the pretext he was going to visit a friend. He called police headquarters instead. The two brothers, Joe Chozanski, 49, and Martin Chozanski, 52, both of Buffalo, were brought to police headquarters on charges of being disorderly persons. The charges were dismissed by Judge Allen E. Bargar in city court.
  • In 1963, an application for state and federal funds had been made to relieve flood victims in the Sunset Bay area in northern Chautauqua County. Town of Hanover Supervisor Hall R. Clotheir said about 250 families were made homeless by the flooding Cattaraugus Creek which sent ice-choked waters surging into the community during Sunday’s thaw. Damage was estimated at about a half million dollars and officials said it would be about two or three weeks before owners would be able to move back into their homes. Mr. Clothier said the floors of many homes were covered with up to a foot of mud. He said Rep. Charles E. Goodell, Jamestown, and Chautauqua County Assemblyman A. Bruce Manley, Fredonia, had assured him they would investigate every possible source to determine if the flood-battered area west of Cattaraugus Creek, between Routes 5 and 20 and Lake Erie, could qualify for aid.
  • Lakewood Mayor Nels Carlson, embroiled in a battle over the village’s sewage disposal system, lost by one vote the previous night in his bid for re-election, in the closest race in village elections conducted in communities throughout the area. Carlson received a total of 679 votes while his Democratic opponent, Roland C. Rapp, polled 680 in one of the closest mayoralty elections ever recorded here. Mr. Rapp lost to Mr. Carlson two years previously by less than 10 votes. A total of 1,371 votes were cast, the largest number of votes ever recorded for a village election here. However, the Republican candidates for trustee vacancies won out and the village board would still be controlled by the Republicans by four to one.