Red Cross Assisting Two After Panama Fire
PANAMA – The American Red Cross was assisting two residents displaced by a late-night fire Wednesday in the village of Panama.
Multiple fire departments were summoned to 13 South St., where a neighbor noticed flames coming from the roof of the residence. The fire was reported at approximately 9:30 p.m.
After arriving on scene, firefighters were told a victim was trapped in a second floor bedroom. A ladder was used to retrieve the victim, who showed signs of smoke inhalation but declined medical treatment.
A second resident was able to escape the home on their own.
“When we arrived the fire was coming from the roof on the south side of the house,” said Vernon Sheldon Jr., Panama fire chief. “There was a victim on the second floor that we removed through the window.”
Firefighters from Bear Lake, Lakewood, Clymer, Busti, Ashville and Kiantone assisted in the two-alarm blaze. The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office also responded.
Damage largely was contained to the first floor, Sheldon said.
See Friday’s edition of The Post-Journal for complete coverage.