Dog Dies In Kiantone Fire

KIANTONE – No one was injured as the result of a Monday morning fire, however a dog did perish in the incident.

A house fire was reported shortly before 9:30 a.m. Monday at 1488 Warren-Jamestown Blvd. in the town of Kiantone. According to the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office, the fire started in the basement of the home due to a problem with a power strip.

One resident was home at the time of the fire. The Sheriff’s Office reported the individual was sleeping at the time of the incident, and was awoken by smoke detectors. The Sheriff’s Office credits the smoke detectors for waking the resident and allowing her to exit without injury.

The Kiantone Fire Department was assisted by Busti, Falconer, Frewsburg, Kennedy, Lakewood and Panama fire departments.

As a result of this incident, and with this past weekend being the start of daylight savings time, the Sheriff’s Office would like to remind the public to change the batteries in smoke detectors.